• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

JASS tutorial video? (Spell-making)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello. As the title says, I would like someone to create a TUTORIAL video for JASS, but not just the code itself, but more-so the spell-making process.

Although I already know that there are many videos like this, I would like someone to go through a tutorial of JASS in a VIDEO, moseso than text (its easier to learn from).

I would like whomever does this to go over all the specifics of spell-making through JASS. Basically this video would be an overview of what you would need to do to make a JASS spell.

This includes:
-calculating damage, including/not including attribute boosted damage
-Damage over Time/Healing over time
-Setting Percentages to proc ability effect (like bash or what have you)
-Setting AoE
-Adding buffs
-Adding visual effects
-anything else included in spell making.

I don't think the main issue is "JASS" here. A jass tutorial should not cover those things in detail.
A jass tutorial should introduce you into the language and show you possibilities and limits.

If you know how to do it in GUI, you will also easily can do it in JASS once you know the syntax.
I recommend to read general tutorials, getting to know all actions within the trigger editor, and to create simple concepts and such. Learning step by step.
Later it really is not hard then to create effects or damage over time, may it be in JASS or in GUI.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

You think you want videos, but you don't. It'd be constant pausing, also, what if there's a mistake? Or only a little detail offset by little?

I can write "Crash Course into vJASS spell creation".

Level 4
@jondrean I understand that it may not be the best way to learn, but it's the fastest way for me to learn. AS LONG as the video is well paced, not zooming through.

I just want to get to spell making, because that's basically where I am in my map creation. I ask for things as I NEED them, and to me, I'd much prefer a video. Again, a well paced one that goes into a short 30+ sec over each bit of the code (as in the things I've listed above)

As it is, I don't necessarily have the time to fully learn all of JASS, and I will certainly ask the pros to clean up what I have of it, but I want what i can so I can continue. I want to get this map done ASAP, because it is literally consuming most/all of my time.

All due respect to individual feelings, I just do things better in weird ways

Level 39
PS: (I find the textmacros confusing, I guess they are supposed to mimic GUI's Evens/Conditions/Actions)

Textmacroes are there to reduce the amount of code you have to write. They are parsed before the vJASS code is syntax checked and repeat things. Stupid example but if you wanted to createdestroy SFX and show a debug message to let you know when something's created you could do it with textmacroes. Note you can put anything you want as an argument it will just throw an error at compiling if its invalid coe.
JASS:
//! textmacro SFXQuick takes X, Y, PATH
    debug call BJDebugMsg("SFX created with the model: "+$PATH$)
    call DestroyEffect(AddSpecialEffect($PATH$), $X$, $Y$)
//! endtextmacro

function foo takes nothing returns nothing
    local real X1 = somewhere()
    local real Y1 = somewhere()
    local real X2 = somewhere()
    local real Y2 = somewhere()

local string P1 = "Units\\Human\\Peasant\\Peasant.mdl"
    local string P2 = "Units\\Orc\\Grunt\\Grunt.mdl"
    local string P3 = "Unit\\Undead\\Acolyte\\Acolyte.mdl"

//! runtextmacro SFXQuick("P1", "X1", "Y1")
    //! runtextmacro SFXQuick("P2", "X2", "Y2")
    //! runtextmacro SFXQuick("P3", "X1 + (X2-X1)/2", "Y1 + (Y2-Y1)/2")

//This will cause an error because X1+X2 is not a string and "" is not a real.
    //! runtextmacro SFXQuick("X1+X2", "0.00", "")
endfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.