• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS]Inventory system+save/load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
i'm starting my RPG, it's gonna have lots of classes to choose and the main theme will be LotR, but only the world and some names may be from LotR, the history is another one from the movie
well, an ORPG by the way i want to do would be very limited with just a normal 6-item inventory, so i looked for a good inventory system, that could end that limitation, after some time looking i found Toadcop's inventory system: BX-TRS II, it got lots of room for items and 14 equipment slots, besides it gives us a great freedom for item editing, even more then the normal editor, and it also got "anti-item-spam", only one weapon, one armor, 2 rings, 2 acessories and the others, and it also have 4 slots for potions to use them in-battle, since when u open inventory ur whole screen becomes the inventory, so there's a way to fast-use potions too

so: it fits perfectly for my purpose and it's very easy do implement + it is very easy to use!

problem: i can't make a save/load system for this inventory, i know some guy did for his map TKoK Eastern Kingdoms RPG, VexenX is his name i guess, i asked help for him and he just ignored me, so i came here to ask everyone for help, i don't have any idea of how i could make a save/load for this inventory, not even a clue...

so, can someone that is capable of doing this, can do this for me, i beg you

link for Toadcop's BX-TRS II
http://hilton.gw.oiccam.com/showthread.php?t=91163

can someone help me?

Level 6
STRUCTS! If you have newgen, then you can store a whole load of item variables in one variable assigned to the UnitUserData of the hero. If this is a multiplayer map, then you will need to use those or arrays (even though they're essentially the same thing). Wait...unless you mean like if someone leaves the game then comes back like on B.net, if there is some way to reload your old inventory. If the latter, then I have no clue. Good luck!

Level 10
Well, actually I don't have any clue on how to do something like that. But is the system in Jass or GUI? If in GUI it may be supported some way by another save/load system (I think I have found one some time ago - I will try finding it again). Otherwise, why not making it a RPG not for B.net? I mean like a campaign. More maps, bigger areas, more items, quests etc. Think of this!

EDIT: Is any way that this system transfers items between maps of a campaign?

Level 3
i guess i didn't made myself clear, so here i go:

1: it's an RPG designed to be played with 2 teams of up to 5 ppl each, in B.NET or in LAN games

2: i need a code that store the items of your character, then the code appears by saying something like -saveinv or -save, so that the character shall say -load and then the code then the items are given to the dude!

3: hawk07, about more maps, more items, quests, etc, i plan to make several maps, a main one with most likely everything a hero may need, then many "quest maps" or "dungeon maps" or another "main map" styles, that's why the save/load code is also so important, without mentioning that is impossible to finish the map with some time like 3hours, so my ORPG is gonna be WoW-like, Ragos ORPG is a wc3 RPG that proves that concept, but started making my map b4 knowing that RPG, some friend me told me about that, then we started playing it and it was freeking awsome to all my friends, so i was certain that my idea was good! but also i had some good "improvement" ideas for an RPG, since ragos is just boss-killing and automatic item getting, at mine the concept will be much different: kinda creep killing + quest making + boss killing + secret stuff + extra dungeon/quest/main-maps
so after all it's most likely a WoW-like RPG as i said b4, as big as WoW too hehe

Level 10
Well, sounds good. By the way, can you give me a link (or upload) the RPG you're talking about? I wish you good luck! If you need a team, I may be able (or I hope so)! If it gets as big as you say it can be either online or offline. This means player will play offline, gather itmes and then login and play with others? Also having about 30 maps will make it almost impossible for B.net players to play it, because not all of them will have all the maps! Good luck again! If you need anything you can tell me!

Level 3
thx for the good feedback hawk ^^
it won't be like 30 maps, and they are going to be somewhat "continues next episode" if talking about the difficulty, so at the end of the maps gonna put some links to players download it, if u see ragos u'll understand what i'm saying, i thought pretty much the same thing than ragos' creator Boeserteddy
here's the link to u check it out:
1: maps download
http://homepage.sunrise.ch/mysunrise/peter.imhof/html/ragos_orpg.html
2: forums
http://ragos.aceboard.com/224427-9688-4144-0-Release.htm
my team just killed illidan at hard, but then we stopped playing cuz of some sort of problems =/, the game is REALLY challenging, u gotta have a good RPG team to defeat bosses or u won't have a chance, u really have some fun trying to kill those bosses, we got trying kinda for weeks to pass COMPLETELY from illidan's last bastion, really tough!

edit: deskalada, yes it can, even if it has to be made in 2 different codes, 1 for items then 1 for the rest of the character, but VexenX made the WHOLE code (the character, with stat inputs and other stuff like that) + items code in just one

Level 3
VexenX decided to show a little of his code, he didn't made the things quite clear, but by the way he made is basically setting items for map-zones, kinda, the drops from a zone when they do happen are stored at a gamecache, then he puts some StoreInteger and put the integers at the code so it just changes from zone to zone, and from difficulty to difficulty ^^, but it still seems beyond of my skills, going to try it anyway, if someone can help me i'd appreciate it

Level 10
Good, I would like to test it out DesKaladA!!! It sounds very nice:) I think I and LLoKKo won't be the only ones giving you +rep! Almost half of the Hive is looking for something like this I believe. Many people try making epic RPGs!!! Hope it will work. It sounds so nice using this system, even nicer to saving the items. LLoKKo, you can save the characters via some save/load system that we have here in the Hive! Try Kode for example. I think you can try some other ORPG that is able to mod (I have one in my PC - not mine but with a good save-load code)and copy the save-load code in GUI (easier for you to mod I suppose)!!!

Level 3
yeah, that was my plan, getting another type of code, i got many here on my computer, each one of them made by one different way, so i feel like gonna use one of them then with the help of you guys i could get another code for the inv, will be hard to players, but i think it worth ^^

Level 10
Well, I am the one who talked for rep and I didn't mean that I will be the only one to rep you. Actually I have no rep, because of rule violations (otherwise I would have some more)! I will rep you as a reward (and be grateful as well), but it's the only thing I can do. I have never tried working in JASS, so I can't help in something so complex! Actually if you create the system, think of how many people may use it! It will be a hilarious advance in warcraft and many people will give credits to you in their maps! Isn't that right?

Level 15
Well, I am the one who talked for rep and I didn't mean that I will be the only one to rep you. Actually I have no rep, because of rule violations (otherwise I would have some more)! I will rep you as a reward (and be grateful as well), but it's the only thing I can do. I have never tried working in JASS, so I can't help in something so complex! Actually if you create the system, think of how many people may use it! It will be a hilarious advance in warcraft and many people will give credits to you in their maps! Isn't that right?

"through inorace the truth shall be known"

maby i'll do it if hindy wants to help

Level 3
well deskalada, it's actually natural that when someone help you, you give +rep to him, i need help anyway, that's what is this forum part about isn't it?^^ since u're probably gonna do that good, i'd really appreciate, the least i could do is +rep u anyway, but WOW finally someone gave me some hope, it's a light at the end of the tunnel

Level 10
Can I ask something else? About this system: How can you create new custom items except from the already existing ones? I don't know anything about JASS so I can't understand the code. Could you DesKaladA help me? I would really appreciate this!

Level 3
actually i can help you with that:

1-read the README trigger that's on Toadcop's system... there explains everything

2-the items must be created at the script named something like TRSItems, there are a lot of things that can be modified... and also u can create different kind of items: set items, unique items, runes, normal items, etc... each item can be modified with 120 different stats that includes: damage, attack speed, life leech, ability (there's a dummy spellbook that u can put spells, by wearing items, put AND level them up by a number of levels), cold damage, fire damage, pierce damage, etc... each one of the 120 "modify" stuffs are 1 string that contains 3 numerical values: Par, min and max, Par = constant value, then the items may vary each time u pick the same kind of item, based on min and max, between the min number and the max number (choosed randomly) + par value = value of the string u choose

string examples: "dmg = 4;1;5 ; leech = 10;2;5 ; ias = 40;;;"
let's explain this: the item will add 4+1 to 4+5 damage, the number is chosen when picked up (randomly), the item will give u 10+2 to 10+5 life leech randomly chosen when picked up as b4, it'll increase ur attack speed by 40%, with no random value, since instead of writing down 0 i can just put + ; to mean it's value is null

yet, u should read the readme, it explains EVERYTHING on how editing items... some things that i didn't explain here are explained there, this was just a small brief, just follow the "example items" that Toadcop have created for his system map

Status
Not open for further replies.