• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Item problem: half-way in the ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm using various attachment models on items, and the problem is they all stick half-way into the ground. Items, unlike units, can't be given elevation points, so I don't know how to overcome this. A sword with only the handle sticking out looks somewhat stupid, unless its the Excalibur. Are there any ideas on correctly displaying items that aren't the usual gold chest?

Level 4
Does anyone happen to know how he did it? I was thinking earlier I might make all items not have a model file (.mdl) and above each one have a floating unit with the attachment's model. Once the item is picked up the unit disappears. If this were to work would anyone know how to make the unit constantly spin? Would look cool to have the weapons spin in mid air like in most FPS's.

Level 15
It is not possible. A model's height is determined from it's origin point which should be ground zero for models which are meant to stand on the map. an attachment, however, has it's origin adjusted so it sticks onto unit's chest/arm/head/whatever it's made for. So if you don't find a way to change item's elevation point, you'll have to request item model adjustments.

Level 4
Okay, I guess I'll stick to having a unit with the attachment's model float in mid-air. Is there any way to make this unit spin or animate it?

Level 4
Adding a unit on every item in my map would actually be near impossible. Is there really no way to change to way items display in a map?

Status
Not open for further replies.