• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Island based OPRG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So here's what I'm thinking. An ORPG with different islands for different areas, and there are different types of areas that include elements of gameplay from all kinds of Warcraft 3 maps - AoS, tower defense, defense, mini games, boss fights, and capture the flag islands, some can be used to PvP. Maybe a hardcore grinding island.

Classes would be kept simple. No choose a race and a class, just choose a class. You can have up to 4 or 5 abilities at once. You start with some not so good ones, but as you level up you gain spell points, which can be used to buy, sell, and upgrade abilities.

Thought? Ideas?

Level 2
Sounds pretty good. Now, do you actually plan on making this? And how good are you at GUI / JASS / vJASS, terraining etc etc?

Also are you looking for assistance on this map if you do plan on making it?

Level 9
sounds interesting. would have to keep the different island-specific games somewhat simple, else you would require an unimaginable amount of triggering.

also game-concept wise your idea seems hard to realize in a convincing manner because:

it will turn out to be retardedly hard to balance all of the different abilities, considering they have to fullfill a purpose in ALL of the island-gametypes. hat would be the biggest problem.

another problem will be player numbers. considering orpg's are ment for many players, lets say yours is for 10. would you make every island-game for 10 players? if so, it would reduce the fun for players currently on that island if theres little players. it would be hard to develop every game for every island to work with any number of players.

also a global objective has to be found, to actually make the map orpg and not "minigame-world with only one hero"

hope that helped you out. cheers.
dont bother giving rep, i never get any when giving such intelligent input.
doesnt seem to be appreciated here.

Level 7
I was thinking about creating three or four bots on each island that act like players, but that would be insane hard to do.

About the abilities - Perhaps some can be sold for the same amount that they were bought. So if certain abilities seem to work better on different islands than they can easily be switched without wasting precious resources.

Maybe there would be a giant main island with towns and stuff, and you can go out to different littler islands for other games.

Global objective? I suppose in most ORPGs it would be defeating the final boss and reaching max level, since the idea around these things is to level up and get better gear. It wouldn't be different in this map, since everything you fight gives you experience and loot. But I don't know; maybe that's not what you had in mind at all.

Thank you for commenting.

Level 4
Making the abilities sellable for the same amount will be necessary for all the different types of gameplay.

Perhaps another objective, besides beating the game, could be some kind of points system for each island so that there is competition as well. It might be hard to balance, but it would be really cool.

I would make each island capable of hosting 3-4 players. That way, even if the map isn't full, players can still compete. And if it is full, then players will be able to choose different games by preference.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Level 4
Well, adding on that, perhaps points could be cashed in for point currency only spells and items as well. If you assigned a different integer for each game, you could make it so you would need to master each game separately to get all the best gear and spells. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.