1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Is it possible to make an online leaderboard/ranking system?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by burner89, Jun 20, 2019.

1. burner89

burner89

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm curious to know if it's possible to make an ELO ranking/online leaderboard system. I want to make a competitive game and possibly have some sort of ranking.

2. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yes. It will require the players to be running a 3rd party tool in the background while playing the game though.

I have a tool that's almost ready for public use but I need to polish some things.

3. burner89

burner89

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmmm that might not fly. Do you think blizzard might enable such a feature for the world editor in the future? I feel like it would be a huge step into making custom games more addicting and important.

4. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

5. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I believe with LUA it should be possible to write/fetch info to/from a SQL database, and base a stats system on that. I don't know anything about LUA so I can't say for sure.

The negative part is that anyone who deprotects your map will find your database credentials in the map, and can freely log in to your database and delete or edit the tables. This can be solved by blacklisting all IP addresses but yours but it's still a huge security issue.

6. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There is no way to connect to a server through Lua without a 3rd party tool running in the background.

7. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I see. Due to ports or LUA limitations?

8. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    WC3 Lua is sandboxed. You can't require libraries or link DLLs.

9. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    So I am guessing the tool you're making makes it possible to connect to servers through WC3 maps that are coded in LUA? I am also guessing only the host needs to be running it, and that the database credentials are stored in the tool, not in the map?

If so I can see a plethora of new stuff coming. SQL based save systems for RPG maps, rank systems and leaderboards, in game credit systems with currencies and so on.

10. burner89

burner89

Resources:
    Resources:
    That would be awesome. Hopefully it's easy for a noob like me to implement.

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I thought his tool would be a third party application running in the background that interacts with Warcraft III using file I/O. In theory both JASS and Lua can do this but honestly no one should be making new projects with JASS since Lua is pretty much superior to it.