• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it possible to make an online leaderboard/ranking system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm curious to know if it's possible to make an ELO ranking/online leaderboard system. I want to make a competitive game and possibly have some sort of ranking.

I'm curious to know if it's possible to make an ELO ranking/online leaderboard system. I want to make a competitive game and possibly have some sort of ranking.

Yes. It will require the players to be running a 3rd party tool in the background while playing the game though.

I have a tool that's almost ready for public use but I need to polish some things.

Level 3
Hmmm that might not fly. Do you think blizzard might enable such a feature for the world editor in the future? I feel like it would be a huge step into making custom games more addicting and important.

I believe with LUA it should be possible to write/fetch info to/from a SQL database, and base a stats system on that. I don't know anything about LUA so I can't say for sure.

The negative part is that anyone who deprotects your map will find your database credentials in the map, and can freely log in to your database and delete or edit the tables. This can be solved by blacklisting all IP addresses but yours but it's still a huge security issue.

I believe with LUA it should be possible to write/fetch info to/from a SQL database, and base a stats system on that. I don't know anything about LUA so I can't say for sure.

The negative part is that anyone who deprotects your map will find your database credentials in the map, and can freely log in to your database and delete or edit the tables. This can be solved by blacklisting all IP addresses but yours but it's still a huge security issue.

There is no way to connect to a server through Lua without a 3rd party tool running in the background.

WC3 Lua is sandboxed. You can't require libraries or link DLLs.

So I am guessing the tool you're making makes it possible to connect to servers through WC3 maps that are coded in LUA? I am also guessing only the host needs to be running it, and that the database credentials are stored in the tool, not in the map?

If so I can see a plethora of new stuff coming. SQL based save systems for RPG maps, rank systems and leaderboards, in game credit systems with currencies and so on.

Level 3
So I am guessing the tool you're making makes it possible to connect to servers through WC3 maps that are coded in LUA? I am also guessing only the host needs to be running it, and that the database credentials are stored in the tool, not in the map?

If so I can see a plethora of new stuff coming. SQL based save systems for RPG maps, rank systems and leaderboards, in game credit systems with currencies and so on.
That would be awesome. Hopefully it's easy for a noob like me to implement.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I thought his tool would be a third party application running in the background that interacts with Warcraft III using file I/O. In theory both JASS and Lua can do this but honestly no one should be making new projects with JASS since Lua is pretty much superior to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.