• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it illegal to sell my custom models to people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello.

I have a plan to sell my custom W3 models to people as if some of 3d designers are selling their figures in real life, but I'm not sure this is breaking any of the law.

The file format would be only .mdx based for preventing to be used for the other game.

All of my works are made by myself from bottom of the scratch like sculpting, rigging, texture painting, and adding animations. Literally all of them.

The only one I concern is that I look up W3 character SD designs and arts from google. (Please checkout my unfinished examples attachments on below.)

In this case, is selling models against any privacy & policy of Blizzard?

Thanks for reading.

Then what about people who are uploading their own models with .mdx file on this website? Are they also break the law too?
They're free to download and use so no.
edit: the only problem your facing is the fact that you don't own the .mdx / .mdl formats and those formats not free to use outside of blizzard games.

Last edited:
Hello.

I have a plan to sell my custom W3 models to people as if some of 3d designers are selling their figures in real life, but I'm not sure this is breaking any of the law.

The file format would be only .mdx based for preventing to be used for the other game.

All of my works are made by myself from bottom of the scratch like sculpting, rigging, texture painting, and adding animations. Literally all of them.

The only one I concern is that I look up W3 character SD designs and arts from google. (Please checkout my unfinished examples attachments on below.)

In this case, is selling models against any privacy & policy of Blizzard?

Thanks for reading.
It seems like it depends on how you create said assets.
When I browse the End User Licence Agreement, it should be fine (Blizzard End User License Agreement - Legal – Blizzard Entertainment)
If you use "Warcraft 3 Art tools", it seems to be prohibited without licence (Warcraft Iii Art Tools - Legal – Blizzard Entertainment)

I have no idea what "warcraft 3 art tools" are, but if you use open source tools to create said assets, I don't think it should apply.

I don't speak legaleese too good and have not spent a ton of time to search for all different contracts that might apply so I probably have missed a ton of relevant details.

Level 3
edit: the only problem your facing is the fact that you don't own the .mdx / .mdl formats and those formats not free to use outside of blizzard games.
I see. That's why no one tries nor have tried to sell the 3d models with .mdx format. Thanks a lot.

Edited: I searched mdl files on google and looks like it's not only allowed for nor owned to blizzard games. It actually SFM uses the mdl files too.

Last edited:
Level 29
There are in fact a bunch of file formats with the "MDL" extension. If you are looking at one and it doesn't say it's specifically for Warcraft 3, it's not a Warcraft 3 model.

Art Tools was the Blizzard made plugin for 3ds Max 4 / 5 to make models with. It can't be used anymore, unless you somehow have a copy of max 4 or 5.

As to whether it's legal - probably, but I am no lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.