• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is it a bad idea to give Boss units Divine armor type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Well it really depends on the game.

Yeah i completely agree; armor type should be determined by the other characteristics of the boss, and what aim it is supposed to accomplish.

If you want a long grinding type scenario then you will probably want divine armor, or high health

If you want a good damage reduction so its not a walk in the park defeat I would suggest either hero or fortified, and if it is going to have fairly low health then make sure it has either good damage per second, or good abilities that are cast every so often.

For good spells, the hive has many you might want to look into: Random Boss Spellpack v2.1 by Patio 111

Some other things to look at to help make a good boss are the boss fight maps uploaded on the hive: Boss Fight

hope you can make a cool boss fight ^^;

Edit: Lich Prince posted while I was posting QQ

Level 8
Hey everyone thanks for the input, these are all great inputs and perspective.

Adding bosses to AOS games can be tricky, on the one hand you don't want it to be too easy like a simple super creep, on the other hand it should feel like an event too. To have the bosses have special and illustrious skills but not have it take away attention from the player units.

I hope I got it right, and if not I will hammer it out to perfection via revisions.

Anyway, thanks all. +Reps

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Depends on the boss. If you give him divine armor you will have to nerf his HP greatly to compensate.

Proper bosses should have weaknesses as well as strengths. Yes if you are WoW you just make them hard as hell cause you will always have a a hundred people beating them to pulp and with such variety weaknesses do not mater but in maps with only 4-6 players (or less these days) you need to give them stratergy more than mindless violence. For example you could make the boss unkillable for the first 30 seconds, or make it weak but has huge range damage reduction and constantly summons melee skeltons, or that the boss is a spell survival and then he dies easilly.

Be orignal... it gets boring relying on more and more DPS as stats go up in powers of 1000.

Divine armor means that is your unit uber mega super cool one (Check blizzard campaign only few units have divine armor) :xxd:.

Why not to use divine armor, but why not to edit it or create your own...

Import few icons, change armor name (add different colors as well), change descriptions, edit armor/damage options.

Check Advanced -> Gameplay Constants/Game interface
You will find everything you need there :p
So you can create anything you want :)

And no fortified look horrible on units (at least ones made from flesh ^^).

Level 8
I am now considering altering the standard armour specs and perhaps using it as a method of defeating the bosses (alternating the armour types via triggers).

But the Gameplay Constants with the information is just numbers, and the tutorial here is in French xfd! Anyone knows what the constants relate to?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
and the tutorial here is in French

Please link so moderators can have it removed, this site should be english only as difined by the site rules.

A brief description of each constant can be gotten from its name. Something involving XP in its name will influence XP for example.

If you mean your editor is in French, then download and install an english version.

Rub

Rub

Level 2
If not already said or thought, I advise having custom armor and attack types to allow for a new feel to your map instead of the basic warcraft one that people that played over five years which seen the same thing over and over will get tired of it.

There will most likely be a lot of constants that have the same name for description but for icon changing which would be in interface and the damage tables should be near the top or close to the middle.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If you noticed, divine armor did have a weakness (it took full damage from chaos). This means that no armor type by default reduces all damage by an amount.

If you do something like -75% all damage for a boss unit, it defeats the purpose of armor types at all (you mithers well make it take full damage but have 4 times the health for easier DPS calculations). If you want bosses to take the same damage from all attack types, then give them an all round armor which has 0% reduction for all attack types meaning nothing is super effective against them nor super weak.

Traditionally, bosses take reduced damage or are immune to strong moves (instant death, % health reduction, stuns) and have shortened negative buff duration or effect. Bosses may also be resistant to slow from frost attacks and poision to prevent compounding slow. Bosses should avoid being immune to magic or immune to phyiscal unless that is their purpose, I have seen a lot of bad maps make every boss immune to magic late game which defeats the purpose of even giving the player spells to cast on enemies.

Level 4
The gameplay constants offers you more customizable variables. Customize your "Divine" armor to your own and you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.