• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Invisible Unit Destroying AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys, hehe, sorry to be asking for help on this issue, there is a way to fix this issue, but it is extremely awkward and this is an issue that I might encounter in the future since there is no way for me to predict it.

Essentially, running the cinematic that ends with a trigger starting the AI on my bases destroys the AI itself. What I mean is, if i create a command to just run the AI, and disable the cinematic (its the opening cinematic), then the AI runs fine. But as soon as I allow the starting cinematic to play, and have the AI be "run" at the end of the cinematic, the AI does nothing but send all the peons to mine from the goldmine and not even collect lumber.

This is an issue I have seen before, but it is an issue with the way the AI is made. I have never seen this issue occur in the way i describe, since there cannot be an issue with the AI itself as I can run a command to run it if i disable the starting cinematic and it works fine.

When i allow the cinematic to run, and allow the AI to bug, but then try to use the test command to run the AI, it crashes my game, so obviously the AI is working, as if it was not then I do not believe it would crash ( the crash should be due to the AI being run twice, even though the first time it ruins the AI ).

My only clues are that there seem to be hidden units belonging to the bases the AI are commanding, as when I allow the cinematic to run, and let the AI bug, when i send my heroes to go attack the base to see if it produces a response, after killing all the buildings and units, my hero is being attacked by an invisible unit.

I realize this might seem like its a hidden unit from the cinematic causing it, I have checked thoroughly multiple times and cannot identify a hidden unit. Additionally, I have tested what happens if a unit (specifically the hero unit) for an ai base is hidden when the AI is run, the AI will bug but it will not bug in the way i describe.

Interesting, the type of unit that is attacking my hero was removed from the starting forces guarding the base many versions ago, so it cannot be a hidden unit as I preplace my units and there is no such unit in the base, yet it is attacking me, and since the army buildings are not doing anything, they cannot have produced that unit.

To be fair, I can get around this issue by, removing the AI commands at the end of the opening cinematic and just pausing the game at the end of the cinematic and writing some silly message like "Because your version of warcraft 3 is not compatible with the map, you must type XXXX to start the mission". The XXX will be the command to manually trigger the AI, which as I have said above works fine.

Was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, since I cannot really test/play around with this since the map will crash if I try to manually run the AI after allowing it to "run" at the end of the opening cinematic.

Edit: If anyone is interested, the reason for this is that I had an "unpause all units" at the very start of my cinematic, even though I had never paused by units i the first place. I normally thought these kinds of things would not matter, since if you are unpausing units that are already unpaused, there should be no issue except unnecessary triggering. But this is the reason for the crash, so either add in "pause all units" before it, or just remove it entirely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.