• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Internet Speech is stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
This probably going to be my first post in awhile in which people don't respond in anger. Anyway, I think, and Im sure most of you think internet speech is dumb as H**l. First off, whats with the abbrieviations. Example: Lol is convenient, though I've never used it, but its stupid. And whats with this thing with numbers replacing letters, l33tspeak or something, It is leetspeak? I was on a channel on Battle.net and I did an example of one who trying to get us to join a clan. "OMG!! LOL! Y0U N00BZ B4tt4 j01n Cl4n Suxx0r, 0R 1'll C411 Y0U 4 TURD!" I have no idea what I just said. Again, learn to speak the english languege properly, and turn caps lock off.

Level 7
danzig666 said:
This probably going to be my first post in awhile in which people don't respond in anger. Anyway, I think, and Im sure most of you think internet speech is dumb as H**l. First off, whats with the abbrieviations. Example: Lol is convenient, though I've never used it, but its stupid. And whats with this thing with numbers replacing letters, l33tspeak or something, It is leetspeak? I was on a channel on Battle.net and I did an example of one who trying to get us to join a clan. "OMG!! LOL! Y0U N00BZ B4tt4 j01n Cl4n Suxx0r, 0R 1'll C411 Y0U 4 TURD!" I have no idea what I just said. Again, learn to speak the english languege properly, and turn caps lock off.

I agree that most it's annoying when people are using those words too much, but you're laughable yourself.

I think most of your posts are post complaining about something, that is really annoying.

And by the way, I'm not perfect at english (I don't use those words though), but it's a bit funny that you says that people should learn to speak the english language properly, when your own post contains errors.

Stop bothering us with your complaining, the chance it'll lead to flame wars are huge, and if it doesn't, it's still annoying, stop it.

Level 12
Afronight_76 said:
holy crap, looks like we have a maddox over here.

You win the prize.

Hey, it's the truth. Your attempt to complain sounds not even worth bothering to think.

Oh, and if you see most of us do the 1337 language, we do it as a joke. You think the majority are stupid using it? Then get off the internet.

And among all things, this looks like a post that's supposed to be perfect English. Pfff...

Level 6
1337$p34|< as it is sometimes called, can be translated to leet speak. Yes all the letters are there. "Leet" is actually short for elite. Either this is some very far streched and vague idea of the word elite, or the person who thougt of it (and the people who use it) have serious, deep personality disorders. The leet speak is in no way elite. It takes longer to type, longer to read, longer to learn it etc. What happens if you make a mistake? Take for example: 1337$p34|< change one or two things slightly: 1337%p34| and it becomes leet%peel or leet%peal. Neiter makes any sense to me, could you please tell me if it does to you. So if this elite language is harder for people in just about every way, why use it? This question brings me to my second point: personality disorders. Again, I will be refering to the elite aspect. People use this secondary language because it is harder for people to use. They feel more important and better then everyone else if they can say something that some people don't know how to read. They feel "elite". Anyway, this has gone on for long enough.

Authors notes: This is just my opinion, nothing more. You are entitled to your own if I've interperated the rules correctly. Btw, I use abbrev. like lol, brb, c-ya because those stand for something and are in common usage.

Level 23
There's actually quite an interesting article on "leetspeak" and its origins on Wikipedia... Of course, I think it's a load of %&"*£_*"&$ myself. The odd ironic "omg" or "PH34R" is okay, but people that speak it all the time are just trying to make themselves feel big.

That said, danzig is ranting and fails in his argument by messing up his english. I think it's time somebody said to him "I think *you're* stupid" - he's asking for it with topic titles like this. Not that I'll be that person, of course.

Level 22
a401.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.