• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create a Character for my Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey, Hive!

I'm an experienced writer myself. I've attempted novels, finished short stories and am even on the way to writing epics. I know the how, and I know the why. But I'm not very good at knowing the who.

Basically, I need your help to create a few three dimensional characters for my current project.

A three dimensional character is (no, not a cardboard figure) a character that has in depth history, back-story, descriptions and other features. A character from a children's picture book would be two dimensional (most of the time) because they usually don't need the whole back-story, in depth features and things like that. However, it is almost vital for novels to have three dimensional characters so that they can be seen as if they are real.

To create a character, I need you to supply me with a few details which I'll list later in a
tag. First of all, you will need to know this: The story I am working on will be set in a dark, gloomy and sad atmosphere. I'll give an example character (the main protagonist) to show you how I shape this atmosphere into a character, and how the different categories are answered.

First, here is a few small details of the story to take into account. Secondly is the outline for creating a character. After it is an example: the main protagonist ('hero') of the story.

* The story is set in the future of our day Earth. World War Three has come swiftly after America declared their independence to the world and attacked Europe in quick, successful attacks. The PeaceKeep United, an organization born from America's old shock troopers and special operations forces, are an army that has America under it's control. They work in unison as one team and base their teachings and formations off of old Roman tactics. The Gyllie Cooperations (which is also the title of the story) is a band of assassins and mercenaries. The past of the Gyllie (pronounced as you will pronounce Ghillie: Gi-lee) is unknown and shrouded in mystery but it is well-known that they were once a purely scientific organization.
* Another thing to note about the Gyllie Co is that they are Earth's prime scientists and engineers, and are responsible for making the 'futuristic' items you'd expect: lasers, robotics (announced for cleaning and serving duties but under construction for war) and spacecraft (also announced, but war is still coming into it, i.e battleships and smaller assault crafts).
* The PeaceKeep aren't 'bad' in that sense, but they are extremely proud of their country.
* The final organization that plays a major role in the story is the Hand of Torment: basically America's terrorists. After a few plane crashes, killings and mass killings, the PeaceKeep had to turn their eye from the Hand and onto other matters like the European bombing (will be elaborated in the story) and India's announcement of neutrality. Because of the Hand of Torment being ignored, they have openly declared that their next target will be the President of the United States: Swan Gruuil. The PeaceKeep have ignored them still since the Hand haven't yet come near New Washington ('new' because of the European bombing, again will be elaborated more in the story).

Now you know the what and the why. Here is the template for creating a character. If you don't know what something means, read the Sample Character I've posted afterwards.

* Name: (The character's name. Try to be original, but don't make it too out of place. First names, middle names, surnames and titles all fit under this category, but only the first name is required.)

* Birthplace/time: (When the character was born and where. Try not to make up places, but I'll accept created towns. Please try to restrict the character to Australian and North American cities, as that's where the story is set. Time is optional.)

* Occupation: (What and where the character works. Try to relate it to the story, for example a farmer isn't going anywhere in this book. Try to surround jobs near war-filled occupations, for example soldiers, engineers and doctors (field medics).

* Age: (I'm sure you can work this out yourself. If you are new to character creating try to make sure your age fits the occupation: don't have a 14 year old PeaceKeep engineer. Also, the majority of characters will be over 20 years old.)

* Likes/Dislikes: (Come on, this is easy too. What does the character like/dislike? Music, food, hobbies and other people are all accepted.)

* Friends: (Again, easy. This is optional unless you want to make up a couple more characters.)

* Family/Pets: (Anybody in their family including cousins, uncles, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, pets... anyone in their family. If you don't want to make up names/characters you can simply say: Father, 3 Brothers, Dog, etc. Another really important note is if anyone in the family is dead, list that here too.)

Alright, that was all the easy stuff. If I've forgotten something there, please tell me and I'll add it. Now, that previous stuff is usually everything you need to add a little 3D to your character... a little. So now we've got to guarantee our character's believability.

* Internal Conflicts: (Alright. An internal conflict is anything a character is thinking that stops, slows or weakens him. This is not physical. For example, a fairly good internal conflict is something like self-doubt. Any of the sins I will also accept here: gluttony, lust, envy etc. A better internal conflict would be something like a family member's death (I use this in my protagonist). Also, write in how it affects the character.)

For better understanding this is what the Internet says: "Internal conflict is a mental or emotional struggle that occurs within a character."

* External Conflicts: (Basically the opposite to Internal conflicts. This one is easier to understand then Internal. For example, an external conflict would be something physical that is stopping, slowing or weakening the character. An opponent in a fight is a good example. However, it doesn't just have to be other characters, it could be the environment around the character. For example, Boston (as in future-Boston) in the story is thick with pollution clouds and smoke because of the massive factories. Something as simple as cliffs could be an external conflict because it is slowing or stopping the character from reaching their destination.)

Here's what the Internet says again: "External conflict is a struggle that occurs between a character and outside forces."

* Descriptions: (I've put this here and not in the easy section because I need good descriptions. You can't say: "Brown hair, blue eyes." I mean, you can if you want. But to make a good 3D character, having a lot of detail is good. Here's a few aspects to think about: Hair color, eye color, skin color, hair style, any physical features (scars, broken noses, etc.), height, weight, glasses (yes or no), distinguishing features* (I'll explain afterwards below), clothing style, mannerisms*, habits (smoking, drinking, etc.), health status (healthy, obese, slightly overweight, skinny, etc.), favorite sayings (optional), disabilities (if any). You see, if you included all of this and explained it in detail you would have a solid 3D character. No, I don't expect you to answer each of these questions :p.)

Distinguishing Features: What the character's most memorable feature is: for example Harry Potter's distinguishing feature is his glasses and his scar.

Mannerisms: How a character moves and talks. Left-handed or right-handed? How does he/she wave? When they talk, do they move their hand around?

* Education: (Where the character went to school and how intellectual (smart) they were when they were younger. Did they go to college/university? How intellectual are they now in their older years?

* Personality attributes: (Intelligence level, mental illnesses (if any), short-term goals, long-term goals, how the character sees themselves, how the character believes they are seen by others, how self-confident the character is and what the character would be embarrassed by.)

* Religion: (Is the character religious, does the character believe in spiritual beings. Is the character superstitious?)

* And lastly, the character's involvement in the story: (protagonist, antagonist, friend of protagonist/antagonist, companion, etc.)

All right, this character sketch is based on a different template. You can use the one above or follow this one, up to you. I used the one below because I thought I needed more in depth questions and a guide for the main character.

Name: Varn Macare Richards (varn_ma-car_ri-ch-ards), Professor Richards (later)
Age: 23 years old to being with. Birthday turns him 24 mid-way through the story.
Nationality: North American.
Hometown: Boston
Current Residence: New Washington, moved when 21 after Jacob's death.
Occupation: Previously was a mechanical engineer, now works for PeaceKeep as an engineer.
Income: Previously when living in Boston: Just enough to live with. When working with PeaceKeep: Enough.
Talents/Skills: Good at his job: Engineering. Climbing he is also good at. Hates drawing but can draw designs/blueprints.
Birth order: Second.
Siblings (describe relationship): Jacob Lucus Richards, aged 16 when death. Jacob and Varn got on really good, being brothers. They were both good at engineering and both had a passion for climbing. Jacob was better at drawing then Varn, but not by much. They always were best friends and stuck up for one another always. When Jacob died, Varn's social life ended quickly. His older sister, Maree Jane Richards, is 26 years old and lives in San Francisco studying the wildlife and the effect humans have on surrondings. She was always unlike her brothers with their passion of engineering, but they still got along, and she could draw extremely better then them both. However, when Jacob died, Maree moved to San Francisco and only talked to Varn and their parents through letters and Email.
Spouse (describe relationship): None, Varn never married and hasn't found anyone he thinks he will.
Children (describe relationship): Has no children.
Grandparents (describe relationship): Varn's grandparents were dead before he was born. His grandfather worked in the United States special operations in his earlier years. Because of this, Mairn Richards was assassinated five years after retirement. Varn's grandmother, Jane Teao Su (later Richards), had moved to the United States from India, where she met Mairn and they married. After their marriage Mairn joined the U.S.A Special Operations forces and Jane decided to join with him, acting as a field medic for the team. She was assassinated at the same time as Mairn, five years after their retirement and three years after their child, Dantine.
Grandchildren (describe relationship): No grandchildren.
Significant Others (describe relationship): Varn's father's name is Dantine Richards. Dantine still lives in Boston because he runs the massive SuperCo oil rigs and facilities there. He is a moderatly rich man and lives in a nice sized house near the center of Boston. Dantine was taken when he was only two years old after his parents, Mairn and Jane, where assassinated. He was taken to an orphanage near the coast of Boston where he was raised. When he was sixteen he met Lilian (Lily) Hester. After seven years, when Dantine and Lily where 23 and 21 years old respectively, they had their first child and named her Maree Jane. Two years later when Dantine got a massive boost in his payment, they had their second child Varn Richards. Varn and Maree got along well, but their differences were obvious to the two parents. When Maree turned nine years old, and Varn was seven, Dantine and Lily had their third child, Jacob. Jacob and Varn got along better then Varn and Maree, being interested in much the same stuff. The years grew on until Jacob was 16 and Varn was 21. Jacob was killed and that was it for the couple, having no more children afterwards. About a month later, Varn moved out of the city much to Lily and Dantine's sorrow. A month after that, Maree at 23 years old moved to San Francisco. Three years passed then until the story's beginning. In that time, Dantine (47) and Lily (45) settled down into retirement and passed the SuperCo oil rigging to a friend of Dantine's, Josheph Farrow. However, Dantine still runs the company, but allows Josheph to oversee it's manufacturing.

The other relative to mention of Varn's is Amelia Pearl. Amelia is Lily's mother, which is Varn's grandmother on his mother's side. Amelia was always strange and mysterious. At 16 years old, she moved out and went to study physics at Boston University. She was extremely intellegent from early on. She met and married Ganan Hester, a fat buisnessman who tried to ruin Amelia's career as a geologist and volcanologist by introducing her to buisness. Despite this she had a child with him and named her Lily. However, after five more years of putting up with Ganan, Amelia moved out to Washington, leaving Lily with Ganan. After that, Amelia was forgotten.
Relationship skills: Previous to Jacob's death, Varn was great at his social life. He had lots of friends and got on well with new people. However, after his younger brother died, Varn lost his social skills and isolated himself in Washington.

Physical Characteristics

Height: Varn was always a tall person: he measures 1.82 meters.
Weight: It can't be said that Varn is of average weight, but he's not over either. He weighs 72 kilograms.
Eye Color: Casual dark-brown eyes.
Hair Color: Dark-brown.
Hair Style: Ruffled and uneven.
Glasses or contact lenses?: Neither. Varn has never had a trouble with eyesight.
Skin color: Olive.
Shape of Face: Slightly small ears and original round face. Nose is slightly long.
Distinguishing features: Nothing can be said 'Distinguishing' about Varn. He is casual and regularly seen. However, something that could be classed at Distinguishing is the fact that, despite wearing elegant black suits and ties, Varn leaves his hair unbrushed and random.
How does he/she dress?: Usually, when in public, Varn dresses in a suit and tie. Additionally, when in meetings and official areas he does tend to his hair slightly. Other times he is not so formal, leaving his hair untouched. Shorts are a favorite in the hot atmosphere of Boston and Washington. Since he is athletic, Varn usually dresses in shorts, T-shirts and runners.
Mannerisms: Sometimes when talking, Varn crosses his arms unintentionally. When running, his arms are firm by his side, but moving in almost identical actions everytime. When meeting with officials, he bows only slightly.
Habits: (smoking, drinking etc.): Although Varn's father, Dantine, smokes, Varn never picked up that habit. His used to drink during the month or two after the death of his younger brother, but quit after seeing it deteriate his athletic nature.
Health: Varn is healthy, slightly skinny, but athletic. He eats enough of each vitaman and continues to sustain a good immune system.
Hobbies: Drawing is definatly not a hobby of Varn's, but he likes drawing diagrams and blueprints for engineering plans. He likes carpentry and occasionally fixes up the common broken table, chair leg, that sort of thing for his own private use. One of Varn's main hobbies, however, is his athleticsm and will to maintain a healthy body.
Favorite Sayings: "Revenge is driven by pain. Physical pain, mental pain, all contribute to the vengeance that one feels within one's heart." This is written on Jacob's gravestone with the initials V.R below it, and he also says it when filing in his PeaceKeep Sign-Up Papers, where it says: "What is your intention by joining the PeaceKeep United?".
Speech patterns: Varn usually loves to listen, not talk. He'll talk, but it'll usually be replying, not asking new questions or bringing up new subjects.
Disabilities: Hearing is slightly, only slightly, under average.
Style (Elegant, shabby etc.): Most of the time, elegant in public. Never really shabby, except for his hair.
Greatest flaw: His inability to lie. Because his speech pattern is so obvious, he can't lie. When he lies, he changes his speech pattern and can't proceed with the conversation afterwards like he normally would. However, if he was talking to a stranger, who knew nothing of his regular speech patterns, lying would be easy.
Best quality: His athletiscm and his ability to be able to understand situations better then most other people.

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes

Educational Background: From the ages five to sixteen, Varn always did well in school. He listened carefully, wrote neatly and sophisticatedly and was always a good student. His primary focus was on science and woodwork in his earlier years, but once he reached twelve years old he realised that to become an engineer he needed a very good math standard. Varn hated maths then, but after a few lessons he found he liked it. At sixteen, in his final year, he moved on to college early because of his high achievements in science and maths. He continued on with engineering and, when he reached university, found he had it all covered. After four years he got he degree and was employed in his father's SuperCo Oil Rigging stations, fixing loose piping and rigs.
Intelligence Level: Intellegent. When Varn was younger, he always loved being smarter then everyone else. Not in the way that he loved being superior to everyone, in the way he loved showing the world that he understood. As he grew up this turned into a passion and fueled his intellegence throughout Boston University.
Any Mental Illnesses?: None.
Learning Experiences: In Year 10, his final year of school, he went on an excursion to his father's SuperCo Oil Rigging facilities with his classmates. They were showed how engineering affects life, and how without it many things would not be the same in this world. This was a learning curve for him, and he listened and observed throughout the entire trip. Then, when it ended, he asked his father if he could see the other underground levels they hadn't gone, with the actual piping and oil rigging. His father saw the passion for engineering and complied, allowing the 16-year-old under into the facilities. At 20 years old, just before the death of his brother Jacob, Varn was running his own engineering buisness called "Boston Engineering" where he worked as an electricion and fixed peoples' lights and shortages. However, when Jacob died and Varn moved to Washington to work with the PeaceKeep, the buisness died as well.
Character's short-term goals in life: To join the PeaceKeep United and help engineer some of the vehicles they use.
Character's long-term goals in life: Avenge Jacob.
How does Character see himself/herself?: As the one responsible for Jacob's death. Varn really believes that if they took more care, Jacob wouldn't be dead right now and they'd be running an engineering buisness together.
How does Character believe he/she is perceived by others?: Formal, and elegant. Intellegent and knowing. Varn isn't that stupid to think that others see him responsible for his brother's death.
How self-confident is the character?: Extremely self-confident in the profession he does: Engineering. However, when it comes to things he hasn't tried before, he is somewhat reluctant to try them.
Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof?: Yes. His actions (moving to Washington, isolating himself, shutting down his buisness) are all performed after Jacob's death and thus he is in an emotional turmoil.
What would most embarass this character?: Probably being asked a question which he didn't know the answer to, if around others. In his earlier ages at school people often called him 'smart' and 'intellegent', and he liked to live up to those words. However, whenever he couldn't answer a question in high school people would doubt his intellegence in that subject.

Emotional Characteristics

Strengths/Weaknesses: Varn is strong in phyiscal form. He knows how to solve puzzles and is very intellegent, with a great social life previous to Jacob's death. However, after his brother's death he lost his social life. Varn isn't very good at drawing, lying and is slightly stagefright.
Introvert or Extrovert?: Basically, before Jacob's death, Varn was slightly Extrovert. He was still majorly Introvert, liked being alone, but after Jacob's death his social life was ruined forever.
How does the character deal with anger?: Anger is usually, in Varn's words, "followed by revenge". As such, Varn probably deals with anger by punching it out on a punching bag, taking time to rest or taking revenge on whoever caused him anger (but this probably only relates to when he is extremely angry and hurt).
With sadness?: Spending time along and isolated from people. This is why he moved to Washington because he couldn't stand being asked so many questions about Jacob.
With conflict?: Whenever there is conflict, Varn hates it. He hates seeing people being hurt, even more seeing innocents being hurt. This is another reason he wants to take revenge on Jacob's killer.
With change? Varn doesn't mind change. In fact, he loves it in some of it's forms. His life is about trying to change things to make them better for others.
With loss? Isolation and stopping his social life. Also, sometimes Varn might drink to drown his sorrows, but isn't an alcoholic.
What does the character want out of life?: To be a prime engineer of the Gyllie Cooperations or the PeaceKeep United.
What would the character like to change in his/her life?: Jacob's death. If he could change that, he and Jacob would still be alive and running a buisness in Boston surronding Engineering, like they always planned in their childhood.
What motivates this character?: Engineering and knowing that he can get the most out of life by doing what he wants: Joining the PeaceKeep United as an engineer. Not on the front lines.
What frightens this character?: Life and how it weighs down on him. Also the fact that an assassin killed his brother. Why did that assassin want to kill Jacob? Was it to do with their family? Who's next?
What makes this character happy?: Engineering and drawing designs and blueprints.
Is the character judgmental of others?: Yes. For anyone, it's hard not to be. But Varn tries to not judge a person by what they look like, but it is hard for him not to.
Is the character generous or stingy?: Generous, but not too generous with his money.
Is the character generally polite or rude?: Polite.

Spiritual Characteristics

Does the character believe in God? No, Varn is not religious. His brother, Jacob, wasn't either, because they were both taught by their father who wasn't religious. However, Maree is because she learnt the religion from Lily, their mother, who was religious.
What are the character's spiritual beliefs? Varn has no spiritual beliefs. He does, however, believe that Jacob is still alive in his heart, which is more love then spirit.
Is religion or spirituality a part of this character's life? No.
If so, what role does it play? None. However, he is affected by others view on religion. He finds it interesting that people are religious because he was brought up with science and engineering.

Last edited:
Level 23
I don't quite understand the story but I'll try. I'm still a bit dizzy so I expect that I'll have a few mistakes with these and I might have things that won't fit the story. Still, I'll try to make a character. :)

I don't see the example though.

EDIT:
I don't really know Australia, so please don't judge me. :)
  • Name: Lily Smith
  • Birthplace/Time: Western Australia, from a village near Mount Magnet.
  • Likes/Dislikes: Dislikes losing people close to her. Nothing else.
  • Friends: (None)
  • Family: Step Brother, Mother and Father (Both Parents are dead).
  • Internal Conflicts: Whenever she loses someone or is about to, she loses her cool and becomes very rash in doing her actions.
  • External Conflicts: Has weaknesses that a normal human has. Only that she deals with it with her extraordinary skills and a great motivation.
  • Descriptions: Has a pretty decent height, around 5'9". Has long black hair, blue eyes, pinkish skin, has a scar on her cheek, a fit body, one a normal woman would have. Always has a serious look on her face, not a military look, but that look girls who read books have, a kind of poker face but cuter. Wears glasses but only when reading. She would wear simple but loose clothes, the night gown kind of loose.
  • Education: She did not go to school but she was home-schooled by her father who was a very great professor. So she's still ahead of most of the people in her age. Even those who went to school.
  • Personality attributes: Serious type, silent one, one that is not easily amused. She would do anything to protect the one she loves and she will definitely not allow any harm that will happen to her step-brother. Even though they're not biological siblings, he is the only family she has left and she does not want to lose what's left of her family.
  • Religion: Not religious
  • Just an ally. or like that.

Last edited:
Level 3
Thank you, Hera. All I can say is that the character sketch is great, and so is your Australian.

It fits perfectly into the plot. If you need, I can elaborate a bit more on the story if other people still find it restrictive and not self-explanatory. Plus, I've already said I'll do the sample character later (but that's almost finished and I'll be posting it very soon).

Thank you again for the character. If I use it, I will supply full credit of course and PM you with a sample chapter of her inclusion along with the act she plays within the story.

Regards,
EclecticAcid

Level 3
Alright then, a sample is on it's way.

Are there any more entries? I'd love to see what Hive can come up with.

EDIT: I've added the sample character, see the main post for it. Note that it has a different template to the one I posted before for you guys to use. You can use either one, but be warned the Sample Character's sketch is more in depth to creating a super 3 dimensional character.

Level 36
Mind elaborating on the "experienced writer" claim?
- It's not that I don't believe you, I'm merely curious.

See, I'm not an experienced writer, but I'll still shove some of my aspiring writer opinions on you either way. For one, I really find your "character sheet" idea extremely tedious and non-productive, I mean, no matter the story, a character doesn't NEED to be fully defined at the gecko of the writing, a lot of a character's features and back-story is best reserved for being "made-up on the fly" in the process of writing, not only because you'll end up spending more time concepting you're characters than actually writing your story, but also because you end up fitting the characters better into an ongoing story. Rather than trying to pre-define them before you've even started writing the story.

Well, that's my opinion anyway.
- But hey, if it works for you...

Level 3
@Keiji:

Alright, I understand your view, and I definitely agree with your quote of "...because you end up fitting the characters better into an ongoing story...". This quote has certainly made an appeal. I agree with how you think the character creation process I have posted mind seem a little too complicated to predefine a character.

I still like to have a basic outline, whether complicated or not, to start with a begin designing and fitting the character into the plot. Of course, if you define characters before you write the story in the 3D depth I've asked for, you are more then certain to change them throughout the actual writing of the story. Why? Because that's the way stories work. You create something, but change it to fit something else you've changed, which changes another thing you've defined because you've gone and changed something else.

I get it all the time.

Your statements are correct and, of course, everyone has their different views. Some people might like to have a simple character to begin with, and then go on in depth throughout the story. Others (like me) will try to predefine a character before writing, but then end up recreating aspects of them.

Regards,
EclecticAcid.

Level 36
I didn't originally intend to bicker on about this, but you mentioned something which kind of makes me feel like a bad person if I didn't address it.

to start with a begin designing and fitting the character into the plot. Of course, if you define characters before you write the story in the 3D depth I've asked for, you are more then certain to change them throughout the actual writing of the story. Why? Because that's the way stories work. You create something, but change it to fit something else you've changed, which changes another thing you've defined because you've gone and changed something else.

You must notice yourself how this entire description of how you work basically makes you end up doing the same job twice? Instead of once, as you might have done with a more efficient style. Basically, scratch the entire idea of having a sheet describing such things as weight and height, such details are excessive, and work rather on a character's personality.

See, to a reader, the only thing that truly matters is a character's personality, his physical appearance and back-story is simply a tool to build under this. I mean, it's not like you'd ever actually write "Nick was [this] high and weighed [that] much..." Such information is boring to a reader, and should in all occasions be written in some creative manner, like "Nick was higher than a horse and had an obscene belly" - In both those cases you paint a picture of a character's appearance, without using exact numbers, because exact numbers leaves no room for imagination = boring.

Predetermining a character's key features (like eye color, skin color, hair color, height, weight...etc) is easily done through simply imagining the character in your head rather than putting it down on a paper. I like calling this "Quickcepting," as a word-play to "concepting." You're a writer, not a historian or a biography maker, the essentials of a character is WHO he is not WHAT he looks like or WHERE he's from.
Not to mention that a character's features are completely unimportant to a reader, sure you like knowing these things, but you really don't care about them, do you? >.>
- Try remembering from a story you read, take one of the characters that wasn't your favorite and try remembering his exact eye color, hair color, so on and so forth.
Any success? :p

Level 2
hidden tag

Well, i made one, i don't know if this is the right thing, if you find any mistakes just tell me.

* Name: Hilarion "The Lion" Belacse Pepito

* Birthplace/time: Phillipines,Manila

* Likes/Dislikes: Likes peace, steak and freedom, hates war and sufferings.

* Friends: N/A (Maybe later when i don't have work or when i have free time
to create more chars)

* Family/Pets: (Wife) Jasmine Rose Hudson Pepito (DEAD), (Daughter)Jill May
Hudson Pepito (DEAD), (Son) Hilarion Belacse Pepito Jr. (Missing)

* Internal Conflicts: When thinking about his family's death, this makes him
sad, as well as troubling on the mind, loss of focus.

* External Conflicts: When he gets a hit on his heart, he has a weak heart
resulting on trouble in breathing, he is also allergic to dust, pollen, fur
as he has asthma

* Descriptions: Brown Hair, Pale-ish skin color, Brown Eyes, Flat Top hair,
Usually wears green stuff, Muscular.

* Distinguishing Features: Big Scar on the back.

* Mannerisms: Moves like a lion as his alias is, walks like a real man with
proper positions, right handed, does not wave or move hands, very silent.

* Education: Holy Child School, smart, always top 1, Adamson University,
smarter, and still top 1.

* Personality attributes: 97% Smart, Illness is of asthma and weak heart,
short term goal is fight the remaining rebellion of the Phillipines,
long term goal is find mission son, sees himself as a failed father, people
see him as a great hero.

* Religion: Christian, believes that there are ghost.

* And lastly, the character's involvement in the story: Companion.

Last edited:
Level 3
Well, I suppose you are still looking for characters as you mentioned three?
Here is mine.

Name: Vraeden "Corsair"

Birthplace: Unknown

Likes: Blood. Weapons; Specifically rifles and handguns designed for long range, stealth, accuracy and rate of concentrated fire and close-range blades that are designed to draw more blood and cause more pain but less lethal than conventional weaponry. Torture. Fear.

Dislikes: Slavers. Abuse of loved ones. Arrogance. Innocents that are in his way. Fanatics. Weak military. The Private Military Company "Revelation"

Family/Friends/Pets: Mother; unknown, killed when he was young, Father; unknown, killed when he was young. Younger Brother, Dravius; Grew up with him during childhood, died during the war. Jack Dalver; 'Replacement' Brother after his younger brother died, currently thinks that Jack is deceased. All members of his Private Military Company "Imperius"

Internal Conflict: Vraeden grew up as a captive to Slavers, he was born from his pregnant mother during capture and was raised within the Slaver's ranks. At age three his parents were killed before him, he could not understand what had happened but he developed a taste for blood and torture which culminated over time. He relishes the substance of blood and the effects of torture but has a twisted sense of justice. During capture and torture of his captors he was cut deeply over his left eye, over the bridge of his nose and to his right cheek, giving him a macabre fascination with knives. During his escape he became entranced with the idea of powerful weaponry utilized for stealth but still has the power to rip a hole into a tank.

External Conflict: His left eye is mildly blind because of his knife-cut over his left eye to right cheek, and he has a need for blood that makes him hyper and aggressive if he has not seen it for a while, this does not include his own.

Description: He is quite tall, about 6'1 and he has a head of pitch black hair that is slightly overgrown to the point of it falling over the brim of his eyes and reaching the base of his neck, it is unkempt mostly and he gives very little attention to it, except when he washes it, it is loose and not matted or clotted anywhere. His eyes are gray and give a piercing, frightful aura to anyone at the receiving end of his glare. He has a fair complexion except for the now-gray scar over his left eye. He has a lean build with powerful cut muscle that give enough to intimidate but never seem to add any bulk as he is agile and never relies on direct physical confrontation, though he is lethal with a blade and sharp objects in close quarter combat.

Backstory: Vraeden grew up in a far reaching, international Private Military Company known as "Revelation", they were violent, brutal and dealt in slavery, his mother and father were slaves from a raid of a village and were killed on his third birthday and gave him a macabre taste for blood and torture. At age five he could hold a gun, and became a child soldier as well as his brother Dravius, from an early age he was slender, nimble and lethal and spent seven years raiding and butchering villages for no reason, until his brother died in World War Three as collateral as he was considered to belong to no country. After his death Vraeden plunged into darkness, he grew more brutal and his twisted hobbies grew more and more within him, then he met Jack Dalver, a fourteen year old boy who gave him new meaning, and was the only one who escaped one of his raids. After that he became somewhat righteous, turning to religion and prayer. At age sixteen he turned on his captors, by then he was trained and lethal and captured most of his captors, torturing them for weeks, for their knowledge as well as for sport, and eventually sold them into a life of slavery to rival Slaver groups, using that money he became an assassin, and took on contracts for money but turned those down that seemed innocent to him. At age twenty he was rich with an arsenal when Revelation began to hunt him down, he defied all attempts and made his own PMC "Imperius" built on his reputation as the "Corsair" and all members were thoroughly tested, and at the end of initiation became a 'blood brother' to Vraeden. Currently he is one of the most deadly assassins on the planet and controlling his own private military he is feared throughout the globe. Currently residing in North America, he has spent time in man countries and is fluent in English, Russian, Spanish and knows a deal of Italian, French, Japanese and Latin though he is not fluent in those and he is ambidextrous.

Mannerisms: He is always tense, ready and quick as a result of his child soldier service, his preferred trigger finger, though he is ambidextrous, is his right index finger and in moments of tense solace or public he tends to flex his right index finger as if he were squeezing a trigger. He keeps his weight on his back foot and when conversing with an unknown or untrustworthy person he keeps his hand near the closest weapon he can find, gun or blade, and always turns to his side so he makes a smaller target.

Educational: He never went to school but is quite intelligent, bright and quick to understand concepts and has knowledge of weaponry and field tactics like a second nature, as easy as walking. Vraeden is also particularly skilled at noticing small features, a turned eye or a hair-breadth wire and is somewhat good at defining psychological features and has a chance of predicting a person's next move.

Personality: He was formerly introvert but became extrovert after the torture of his captors. Vraeden has a twisted sense of humour and shows near to no restraint at hinting about sadistic alternatives when dealing with unknown people. He is energetic and seemingly arrogant but is always cautious and measures how to act with others except within Imperius.

Religion: He believes in the Christian God but no where near to conventional means, using the role of a harbinger to justify his means, though a part of him knows that he is not and that same part does not care, but he knows sections of the bible and recites it before a kill or to make a point.
Role in the Story: Antagonist/Friend of Protagonist. (He does not hurt those whom he believes are innocent)

Level 11
A three dimensional character is (no, not a cardboard figure) a character that has in depth history, back-story, descriptions and other features. A character from a children's picture book would be two dimensional (most of the time) because they usually don't need the whole back-story, in depth features and things like that. However, it is almost vital for novels to have three dimensional characters so that they can be seen as if they are real.

Not necessarily. After writing a number of screenplays for my college's drama academy one important thing that I have learned is that you only show the audience what is necessary to get your message\idea across. There is absolutely no need to fill in the tiny gaps of information, there are some things that you have to leave for the audience to figure em out themselves. Same logic applies to novels and stories.

Characters need not have detailed back ground yarns to be 3 dimensional. Eg: We never know who James Bond's parents were, how he came to be a spy etc and Bond is surely not a character from a picture book. Examples abound, the bible never told us how Jesus dressed or look like, we filled in the details automatically (culturally debatable).

So, yes a detailed background story does help in certain cases but it is certainly not a necessity to construct a 3 dimensional character.

Status
Not open for further replies.