• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Integration of invisibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Many maps and games feature "invisibility" of units as a single special effect. You either are invisible or not, which is why it makes a big difference and is not suitable for the mass. The counter "revelation" is a likewise sharp-balanced effect.

Now, I work on a hero defense containing big waves of enemy foes. You may know from Enfo's Team Survival e.g. that you can buy the Sentry Ward item in shop but you only need it in very rare situations because few enemies are invisible. However, it would be somehow annoying if invisibles were just mixed up and the player has no clue.

I would like to ask/discuss for ways to include invisibility on a more regular basis but keep the controlling and information level to players high.

idea 1:
Rather than a permanent passive ability, invisibility is given through active buff spells like the one from human sorceress. This would decrease the accumulation and the player would see the casting in order to be less surprised. One would see more of an action that leads to the result.

idea 2:
Invisibles are not really unseeable the whole time but only non-targetable. The player obtains more information by effects or images which the hidden units spawn periodically at their position. Could be somewhat confusing.

idea 3:
There are different levels of invisibility that get automatically revealed when the units enter certain ranges of player characters. That would get rid of the annoying popping up/vanishing again of enemies when they strike you and add more gradualness. Well, of course, a particular high level could still grant full invisibility that is only discovered by special tools like the Sentry Ward.

Level 26
I think I will do it the way that each hero gains a small revelation aura, so you can properly target enemies in closed combat without getting hit and prolly surrounded. That means extra revelation effects are even less a necessity. However, other properties are granted. Revealed units will give a bit of sight, so you can track them through the fog of war, which is not limited to invisible units. According to that, unit sight range is reduced and I will play more with static light effects that grant vision in the terrain. You can place wards to improve it further.

These arrangements do not actively heighten the amount of invisibility but then the effect is not as annoying and sharp-balanced, which is why adding (and mixing) more is less of a problem. Also restricted sight range works as a kind of pseudo-invisibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.