• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

- Increased max map file size from 4 MB to 8 MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
How to make an 1024x1024 map...?
And you could make an travel system using transport(mechanical,animals etc)
or by teleport.

NOTE:I can only make 480x480 :D

Level 6
Now people can fill their map with more custom crap! Please realize that no one has the patience to download an 8 MB map on BNET. Then, multiply that by the number of players...

ADD and/or having a 56k modem is no reason to stop progress.

I don't mind waiting so long as the map design isn't crap.

Level 7
when you are waiting for the 8mb map to dl you dont know if it will be worth it.

anyway maps like DotA that have tons of fans that anyway dl it from the offical site will now have more custom content.

Level 6
You're in the minority.

A good mapper needs to identify his target audience. Assuming they are on BNET, then you need to consider that people have no patience there.

Funny....I thought a good mapper builds a quality map....I guess I should start adding sparklies, cheat codes, and random things to my maps.

I think you should consider that the ADD audience is not the only audience.

I can wait the two minutes to download a good map. Most of the time its not even a minute.
Don't hold off progress because majority of bnet are a bunch of kids with ADD and can't wait a minute or two for a map download...its not like they don't spend 15-20 minutes jsut trying to find a game (Thats IF they don't wind up having half the players quit in the middle of it).

And certainly don't give up a good idea/map because of it.

Level 7
i perssonely have REALY BAD dl speeds on bent an get kicked really fast :p
thats why i use garena.

anyway new maps should have small size, if the map starts having fans that know the map is good you should add content and maybe rely on that they will dl the map from it's offical site.

Level 11
Funny....I thought a good mapper builds a quality map....I guess I should start adding sparklies, cheat codes, and random things to my maps.

I think you should consider that the ADD audience is not the only audience.

When did I say you shouldn't build a quality map? My only point was that most people on BNET do not have the patience and/or connection speed to wait for a 4 to 8 MB download. You don't need to stuff your map with custom content to build a quality map, take it from me.

We both know that sparkles, cheat codes, and random shit are stupid so why would you even bring that up. It doesn't add anything to the discussion, as everyone (in their right mind) knows that stuff ruins maps.

anyway new maps should have small size, if the map starts having fans that know the map is good you should add content and maybe rely on that they will dl the map from it's offical site.

Exactly! You fully understand the logic behind this.

Level 27
Yeah increase the mapsize but not the amount of doodads which can be placed >.<

Moar doodads!!!!!!!

I rarely place destructables... just a bit here and there... but a map with at least a bit of decent terrain (aiming at the RPG genre here) requires quite a lot of doodads and you will notice how big 256x256 is when you wanna spice it up with all kinds of things.

N.O

N.O

Level 6
Ever heard of those super speedy bot hosters? I think they're called something like 100mbit bot or 100mbs bot supported by a website for wc3.
You will need those to get a 8mb map out and btw with one of those bots a 56k modem could dl a 4mb map in a minute which is not bad and it'll help you getting more people/kid fans for your map.
Just thought I would try and help out here.
Personally myself I am a bot hater but I can't deny the fact hosting bots win now just because blizzard destroyed my own created hosting tools to be faster then bots but move on from that little blizzard hateing patch thingie and the real fact is that bots are best for 2mb+ maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.