• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Improving map load time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've had a bit of a look around, but can't seem to find a definitive reference on what actually increases map load times.

From what I can gather, the following have an effect on load times:
-Imported materials (models, sounds, textures, etc.)
-Size of map.
-Widgetising object data
-Init functions (moving to .1 second, improves map load?)

Wondering if anyone can confirm (other than widgetiser obviously) or point out additional causes for poor map loading times.

Cheers.

Level 16
Seas =)

That what I notice often and know myself is the following:

Each possible thing you can place with a trigger - should be placed with triggering. If you put things (unit, buildings, trees.....) directly on the map (without trigger) more time for loading is required.
> Example: Place 1000 trees directly longer load time. Place 1000 trees with trigger - map loads faster.

The same with units and buildings. What you can place with trigger do it.

Note: But don't do "Map init" only. You can create a map init trigger that runs other triggers. This other triggers (that should be run) have a wait delay. So the first trigger has "wait 0.25 sec" the second "wait 0.5 sec" and so on. As I notice myself - this will improve the loading time. And if you don't init all triggers at the same time, you don't get any lags. And ofc you can use "ever 0.15 seconds of game time".

Level 2
Actually, if you look a completed maps script, you can see placed units, which means that WE merely generates JASS to create units. But yer, if you create a trigger as a timer event at 0 seconds and get that to call your own init (don't use map init event), map loads blazingly fast, though will lag at the start of the map.

You can mitigate the lag by adding short timers between non-critical startup functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.