• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Imported music can't be played as sound (on map initialization)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi.
I'm a bit confused about something in the world editor.
This is what the trigger looks like:

Events
  • Map initialization
Actions
  • Sound - Play blabla <gen>
What is weird, is that I can't play the song I imported as a sound, I have to play it as music instead.
BUT, what is even more weird is that sounds such as HeroicVictory.mp3 can be played as sound...
After I imported my song, I set it to both use as sound and use as music, I don't know why it won't play as sound, and why HeroicVictory can be played as sound!
I'm asking because when sounds are set to play as sound, the volume is higher.

Is it a file size limit or length limit that keeps me from doing this?

Last edited:
Level 2
Did you apply it as a sound? (If you don't know how, right click the file and click "use as sound")

You can only select things in that trigger after you have set them to be used as a sound.

Offtopic: Your mp3 is huge. Battle.net limit is 4mb. I would guess you meant to put a period instead of a comma, but even if you did your map might be over.

Ontopic: Your answer is quite simple.

On the sound trigger, at the bottom it says:
"Sounds cannot be played at map initilization."

So just change the event to
Game - Elapsed time is 0.00 seconds.

EDIT: About your other thing:
"I'm asking because when sounds are set to play as sound, the volume is higher."
They are actually the same volume. Go to your main menu then options. Music is default to be set lower than sounds so you can easily change that client side.

You should use music as music because if it is played as a sound you will get the normal warcraft map music on top of it.

Last edited:
Level 4
You can only select things in that trigger after you have set them to be used as a sound.

Offtopic: Your mp3 is huge. Battle.net limit is 4mb. I would guess you meant to put a period instead of a comma, but even if you did your map might be over.

Ontopic: Your answer is quite simple.

On the sound trigger, at the bottom it says:
"Sounds cannot be played at map initilization."

So just change the event to
Game - Elapsed time is 0.00 seconds.

Edit: how do I change the prefix to "solved" ?

EDIT: About your other thing:
"I'm asking because when sounds are set to play as sound, the volume is higher."
They are actually the same volume. Go to your main menu then options. Music is default to be set lower than sounds so you can easily change that client side.

You should use music as music because if it is played as a sound you will get the normal warcraft map music on top of it.
Ah thanks man! That must have been the problem, I did what you said and now I can play sounds at map initilization as well!
Problem solved, thanks a lot! :thumbs_up:
Edit: how do I change the prefix for the thread to "solved" ?

Level 4
Just resurrecting this thread to ask a question:

Recently imported a .wav file, it's big, but I can't use it as music, only sound. Why?

Level 4
Sounds and music dit never be able to be played at map initialization. You should choose about 5 seconds of game time.

Event:
Map initialization
conditions:
none
actions:
wait 5.00 seconds
play (your music)

No, you misunderstand.
I can't use it as music inside the sound editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.