• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Import custom units from campaign data into map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi everyone!

I really did my best to look for an answer for my 2 questions but all I get on the internet is tutorials on how to import custom units and abilities in a map and how to create triggers, but this is not what I am looking for.

I have successfully created my custom units and triggers in a testing map that I have added to my custom campaign that already contains the terraformed maps I have created.
I know that in order for a campaign map to have the same custom units as the campaign itself, these must be put in the campaign's custom data. And so I did, and copied the custom units of my testing map into the campaign's custom data.

Only problem is: I can't find a way to actually use these units in the maps of my campaign, as they do not appear in the other maps' units palette although they are saved in my campaign's data.

Another problem that I have faced, some of my units use custom abilities that are triggered, and I am sure that there must be a way to save these triggers in the campaign's data instead of constantly copying all the triggers (AND the unending integers) one by one from one map to another. But I haven't found this way yet.

Once I know how to do these 2 things my custom campaign can be finished in no time, so you do understand how grateful I'd be..
Thank you very much in advance for your help

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Only problem is: I can't find a way to actually use these units in the maps of my campaign, as they do not appear in the other maps' units palette although they are saved in my campaign's data.
Are you opening the maps from the campaign editor?
Another problem that I have faced, some of my units use custom abilities that are triggered, and I am sure that there must be a way to save these triggers in the campaign's data instead of constantly copying all the triggers (AND the unending integers) one by one from one map to another. But I haven't found this way yet.
I don't think there is any kind of campaign feature that allows you to use triggers in multiple maps. You will have to put them in every map manually.
You can export/import trigger data to copy all triggers from one map into another (replacing existing) triggers. You can also copy trigger directories and single triggers.
Maybe put all triggers you want in every map in one directory and copy that directory. You will have to figure out what works best for you.

Level 2
Are you opening the maps from the campaign editor?

DUUUUH!!! I feel so dumb right now :confused:

I don't think there is any kind of campaign feature that allows you to use triggers in multiple maps. You will have to put them in every map manually.
You can export/import trigger data to copy all triggers from one map into another (replacing existing) triggers. You can also copy trigger directories and single triggers.
Maybe put all triggers you want in every map in one directory and copy that directory. You will have to figure out what works best for you.

So there is really no way on saving the triggers directly? That surprises me because to me it sounds like something really obvious to add in the editor... Anyway, I think I might try the export/import data. But does it necessarily replace existing triggers and integers, or is there a way to import and just add them with existing ones?

Thank you very much for your answer

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
export/import copies all triggers from one map and when you import them the current triggers will be replaced. I think JNGP might have features to merge them instead of replacing.
Copying trigger directories is really fast, so you can do that as well, unless you have a lot of directories.

Level 2
Thanks for the info, I was asking because some of my terraformed maps contained a few unique triggers that only apply to them specifically (specific gate opens/closes, specific units changes color etc..)
Anyway, I just found out a solution to this problem by just using the world editor. So for those in the future with similar issues, here's what I did:
I just added a dummy map to my campaign. That way I can store my trigger directories while import/replacing triggers of a map and then just add the stored trigger directory from my dummy map by just copy/pasting it. (And for organisation in your triggers list, instead of using directories, you can also use comments)

So I guess my problems are solved, now I can finally really begin to create my campaign.
Thank you again Jampion! I still can't believe I was dumb enough to edit maps directly instead of editing them from the campaign editor :vw_unimpressed:

Status
Not open for further replies.