• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

I'm having trouble grasping the basics of the AI editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So I've been making maps for years now, but I have never even touched the AI editor. I decided it was about time to give it a go, so I looked up a tutorial and have it a look and it seemed simple enough.

However, despite following the tutorial's (vague) instructions exactly, the AI I am attempting to run does...nothing. No harvesting, no building, nothing. Yes, I imported the custom data into the ai. Yes, I have imported the ai into the map and then triggered it starting to run for a specific player.

Can someone give an explanation as to how the AI editor works, and what I have done wrong here to cause the AI to do nothing (all of the structures are already placed on the map when the AI is supposed to initiate):

KX0FQXb.png

Last edited:
Level 15
You have to export the AI as script, import the script in your map and run it (do not run melee ai for all players).
The build order looks fine. Make sure, that every unit can be built with only having units above it (If you have a Frost Wyrm, make sure that Boneyard is in the list above it).
I guess it has something to do with not using the AI correctly, because the AI itself seem good.

Level 3
You have to export the AI as script, import the script in your map and run it (do not run melee ai for all players).

I have done this, as well as made certain that the techs are respected. Are there any other factors you know of that might have the effects I described?

Level 15
Can you show me the trigger?
I know there are kind of 3 states, how the AI performs:
1. AI does nothing, like in your case
2. AI only mines gold with 5 workers it has (I think this happens, when an AI is active, but it does not support the race. For example melee AI on custom race)
3. AI works

Your AI must be a player (in the player properties). Don't select none. So your player will also have a start position.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Your AI must be a player (in the player properties). Don't select none. So your player will also have a start position.
It must not only be a player, but it must also be a computer controller. Trying to run AI on an empty slot or human controller will not work.

As far as I am aware you cannot run AI for any of the neutral players as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.