• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icons Do Not Show Up In WE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Ok, b4 u start calling me a noob, I am making my OWN icons, I can dl icons with no probs. After I convert my icons to blps, import them into the game, change the path, save, and then restart the World Editor, they show up, I mean, you can select one of them as an icon, but the preveiw image is blank. I put BTN b4 all the names, I am sure they are all blps and in the import editor they even show up as Image/Textures or something like that, whatever icons usually show up as. What am I doing wrong?

Level 21
Problems:

- Corrupted alpha channels
- The icon may not be actually .blp
- Alpha channel problems
- Paths incorrectly placed

Solutions:

- Use Correct paths: normal: ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTN(ICON NAME)
disabled: ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTN(ICON NAME)

- Try a 24bit .tga conversion to .blp with WC3 Viewer (say yes to add a opaque alpha channel)

- WE may still no recognise the icon. Allow some time.

Level 3
I used irfanveiw to convert the icons to tgas, then used wc3 image extract to convert the tgas to blps. In terms of the path, you are talking about the custom path in the import editor? I have it right if it is just in the editor, but if I need to name the icons that, then that is the problem. I will check em out with the wc3 viewer.[/b]

Level 3
MUHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA! It worked! Thx a ton sopho. I would readily release my 30 Vietnam War-related icons to this site, but they are reserved for the mod my team and I are creating (I am the head of the mod team, and I wasn't supposed to do the icons, but I sent my artist what I wanted done and gave him 2 days, decided icon making was easy enough and I could do it by myself, lol, damned lazy ass artists). We have not started programming the mod yet, but we are still in the idea stage and are trying to make models and icons first, well, our artists are supposed to be... so that the rest of us could concentrate on gathering the needed stuff for the mod. I'll try to let you guys know when it is done, but that will be awhile from now. For now, enjoy your WC3 in the medieval ages, and in 1-2 years from now, enjoy your WC3 in Vietnam!

Level 21
wc3sear is a friendly and great resource community. We upload all sorts of resources... I used to be selfish and NEVER wanted to upload icons and skins, but because I've been on this for so long, I have changed, maybe you will.

I'd upload them if I were you... but its your choice, you can decide not too. Its a good idea too.

Level 3
The biggest problem is that most of them were not drawn, and while most look nice, some others aren't quite as nice. We hope to fix that, possibly if our artist wasn't so lazy... I can assure you the icons WILL be released here, most likely a few months b4 release of the mod. About a month or 2 b4 you may also then begin to see models. In the meantime, I have created and posted 3 icons, all of which I am using in my maps. I hope that my version of the DISBTN doesn't get them thrown off wc3sear.ch. As far as I'm concerned, the DISBTN should b the opposite of what the BTN is. And I'm sure my DISBTNs are exactly the opposite of the BTNs... lol.

Edit: When I do release the icons, have no doubt that they will flood in, and will probably fill an entire screen full, as those 30 were just the first of em (note that when I say a screen full, I mean what you are looking at, not the entire 500 part.

Level 3
LOL. Thx to Tiki, I did have some... evidently they didn't like my inverted colors DISBTNs. I must confess I like those kind better, but it doesn't much matter b/c I don't know how to make a DISBTN in Paint, although I think I can use the WC3 Viewer. I'll make normal DISBTNs of em and post em again...

Level 3
I thought I might b able to make a 2nd layer in the WC3 Viewer... and then take that into Paint, but ney. I checked the tutorial again, but that seems centered around Hotshots. Are there any toolz you know of that would be good to dl for making DISBTN icons? Or am I just screwed without Hotshots?
(by the way, the RPG and Stinger icons from the VietnamCraft mod will be in my Wintermaul: Remade, so if you wish to see them, use the Missile Defender race when it comes out, which should be at most a month from now)

Level 3
Besides from the fact that it is a moot point now (amazing what you find out when you ask your parents). The problem was, I did not think I had Photoshop or Hotshots, and I was only using Paint. You cannot makes DISBTNs in Paint. Even if you could, Tiki's tut didn't exactly cover that. Moot point now though, asked parents, they gave me photoshop for my comp, checked tut, and made "real" DISBTNs. I now have 3 icons that have no reason to be yanked currently in the icons section (the MOAB, Howitzer, and Commanche.Havoc, all three being used in my Wintermaul: Remade)

Level 3
GRRRR!!!!!!!! Tiki is REALLY starting to piss me off b/c he keeps on deleting my perfectly good, law abiding icons for absolutely no reason I can see. The auto-message states they violate the rules, yet I see not how. He has yet to respond why. I do have 1 left on there, though I've no clue why, and it will make even less sense once I explain. My Siege Tank Siege Mode was left, but my Siege Tank Tank Mode was deleted. They were both quality icons too, and also looked good, and for some reason one was deleted and the other wasn't. They both had the proper DISBTNs... All of my posted icons did. What in the world did I do wrong?

Level 3
I have asked Tiki twice now, no response. My Siege Mode, for whatever reason, is indeed still there. You can check that one out, basically the same as the others...

Level 3
Got an answer back from Tiki:
"They just look bad"
The wierd thing: He evidently liked the Siege Mode, b/c it is still there and it has dls, a decent amount considering that there are not overly many SC maps in production at the moment b/c many people are waiting for KillSt4r's 2nd set of SC models, and other people are simply just hoping for more SC models from anyone. Anyways, he deleted the Tank Mode one though, which even I admit that I believe that the Tank Mode is far better. Personally, I think Tiki should use a little more discretion, and follow his own rulez (the MOAB one he deleted, besides from the fact that most people who have seen it liked it, was from C&C Generals, and said that icons from other gamez r ok). I reposted Tank Mode, so you can check it out now. In defiance, I think I will also repost the MOAB, and Commanche one, which I think looked the best out of all my models, plus it doubles as an icon for KillSt4r's Havoc, in which people have asked me for.

Status
Not open for further replies.