• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Icons appear scrambled in my campaign - but fix when I reload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I've recently updated my campaign so I can edit it in the newest version of the editor (thanks Deepstrasz!). I have a bug that shows up sometimes. Basically, certain textures in the game sometimes appear fuzzy or scrambled. Once it was a custom aura attached to a hero unit (it looked like a giant fuzzy 2 dimensional square). Another time, it was the icons on the hero unit portrait area that show what their armor and weapon types are (see attached screenshot). The icons that are scrambled in that case are not custom; they're just the normal icons in WC3 for normal armor type.

Interestingly, when I save the game and then reload it, these issues fix themselves.

Is this a bug with the editor or maybe my computer? Does it sound familiar to anyone?

WC3ScrnShot_121519_121420_01.png

Level 14
Update:

The icons are not being scrambled, but rather some textures are being substituted for other textures.

Textures that are being overwritten so far include:
- weapon and armor icons
- item icons (i.e. those in the Hero's inventory)
- custom aura attached to a unit
- the death textures on the boulder (i.e. the dust that scatters when the boulder missile hits its target)

Keep in mind that these textures are not always overwritten, and often when I save the game and load it again they are fixed (though other textures can be swapped...I find myself loading repeatedly until it looks ok).

Some interesting facts:

#1: The SAME texture can be both swapped and not swapped at exactly the same time in the same game!

For example, see the attached screenshot - Egg Item Moved. I have an egg item in my inventory using a custom icon of an egg. The item icon in my inventory is swapped out with an unrecognizable wrong texture (you can see it in the top right inventory slot with the "3" indicating number of charges). However, in the screenshot I am moving the item to another slot. During the move, the egg icon can be seen clearly and is fine! But the same icon is still in scrambled form in my inventory because I haven't completed the item move yet.

Another example, a hero unit with a "normal" attack type had a normal icon but another unit in the same game at the same time at the same save-game had their normal attack icon swapped for a hero icon texture (see attack type normal fine vs. attack type normal screwed up).

#2: Some textures that appear to be being swapped are normal Blizzard textures, e.g. the attack type normal uses the default sword icon but is sometimes screwed up. Again, saving and loading seems to fix this.

I'll keep gathering data. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Darwin

Attachments

• egg item moved.png
    egg item moved.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 27
  • attack type normal fine.png
    attack type normal fine.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 53
  • attack type normal screwed up.png
    attack type normal screwed up.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 45

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I recall seeing such patterns a very long time ago when taking a screenshot with anti-aliasing enabled on an old GeForce 7 7900 GPU.

Try updating your graphic driver. If the problem still persists then try messing with the graphic driver settings. Specifically try best quality, and if the bug persists lowering quality until it stops. If your GPU has less than 1 GB of graphic memory then try setting textures to low.

Level 14
I was using x86 -64. Since you recommended that, I changed to just x86. So far it's been much improved. I may have seen one scrambled icon...maybe I just used the other version. It's much improved though.

I do still have an issue with shadows or something. During cinematics I sometimes have shadows flash in erratic patterns all over the terrain (or once the water seemed to disappear, replaced by an odd texture). This happens very fast, as a lightning strike sent shadows everywhere. They have sharp edges though, like one of those snowflakes we made as children when we folded up a paper and cut out a pattern and then unfolded it.

Anyway, that still seems to exist; I'll see if I can get a video of it to show you what I mean. I'll play around with the graphics settings in the meantime.

Level 14
Good news: there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my map. The glitchy shadows and texture-swapping appears on other maps too, so the problem is either with my WC3 program or my computer or some interaction. I suppose I could try a reinstall and so on to see if it fixes the issue.

My graphics program - I think - is Radeon (TM) RX 560 Graphics. Software Version 17.12. CPU Type AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Quad-Core Processor.

Honestly, I don't know much about computers... so I don't know if that's the information you wanted or not.

I'm about ready to have my campaign play-tested so that should show whether the errors occur for other users or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.