• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Icon requirement for skin upload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I believe, that most of skins (read both hero and unit) will always be used as a hero skins for various maps people make. I personally believe there should be a requirement to upload such skins with an icon fitting such skin.

Level 49
There's no need for icons, because:

1. In-game icons can work just fine, even if not most appealing. This also saves filesize.
2. Some people don't know how to make icons, or don't want to, or just aren't sure of how an icon should look\how it should be positioned.
3. The Icons section and Skins section are separate sections and shouldn't really be 'merged' like that. This would be just as silly as requiring a skin or a model for every icon you make.

Level 6
Not to make skins for icons. Make extra icons if skins are already made. Imagine, there's loads of blademaster edits, and what? Use blademaster icon? Just for instance.

Level 5
Most people upload icons after their skin/model is approved or they're sure they won't make any significant updates. If I have to change my submission 10 times (maybe even radically) I don't want to make 10 icons and reupload them as well. Also, making icons for units is quite simple, imo, and I don't see why it's such a big issue :-/

Level 23
Or make the icons yourself, it's really easy to take an ingame screenshot of the model and make the imagesize down to 56x56 and then copy this into an already existing icon, save it as BTN, and then make the outer frame black, go over the whole picture with a pencil (opacity 40 or so) and you're finished. Save this as DISBTN then.

THis is really easy, but it's an annoying work for the one who do custom skins, like it's already said above my post!

Hope this will help you!

Level 16
Or make the icons yourself, it's really easy to take an ingame screenshot of the model and make the imagesize down to 56x56 and then copy this into an already existing icon, save it as BTN, and then make the outer frame black, go over the whole picture with a pencil (opacity 40 or so) and you're finished. Save this as DISBTN then.

THis is really easy, but it's an annoying work for the one who do custom skins, like it's already said above my post!

Hope this will help you!

Nah M0rbid. That won't help him. The only thing that can help him is the Enforcing of the "Rules-Which-Makes-Skinners-Must-Make-An-Icon-For-Their-Textures". Which, in my opinion, will be the most idiot rule on THW if enforced.

Level 23
Ok, then sorry about my unuseful reply!
I think it's even impossible to make this rule work - even if I don't like the rule myself - because of the huge work it would need, just look at how many skins and models there are on the hive and you want to add a icon to all of them?
Maybe also to every spell?
This would be such a huge work, that you can say, even if it would be a good idea, noone will be able to do so!

Level 49

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I agree that skins are more useful if they have an icon that matches. But either you just make your own recolor or the submitter made an icon for you. But requiring the submitter to submit an icon will perhaps make him think again before even submitting the skin.

What is better? No skin at all or some skins with icons?

Level 6
I bet it won't be 5 secs. Probably even more than 10 minutes. Thing is, that person making such skin have first hand resources, so at some point, why not to make an icon, which for him ain't a lot of effort, and others won't have to bother themselves and only download?

Level 23
Because it's not a privilege to be allowed to upload something but a privilege to download the hard work of other people for own use! And you can't force those who upload to work even harder, just becaue you want to get only complete games!
At some point it should be okay to do a little on your own!

Level 5
so at some point, why not to make an icon

Exactly. I for one would rather upload the icon for my resource after it is approved than spend

Probably even more than 10 minutes.

everytime I update it.
Requirement to upload an icon after the resource is finalised? Maybe. But having to do so from the very beginning seems like too much of a hassle (for me, at least).

Level 6
If you are completely positive you did a bunch of good work you can make an icon immediately. As I said, most of skin makers, good ones upload icons immediately. Those icons are very high rated and most downloaded. It ain't hard to notice it. Mostly it's because of icon which highly increases usage of those skins. There is a quite few good skins overthere which I am positive aren't in use simply because they haven't got an icon fitting them. It ain't a problem to fit something similar, but giving a pink skin a green icon is just a mistake...

Level 16
Anyway, IF that rule is enforced, then the reverse must be applied at the Icon section to make it logical. Meaning that an Icon MUST have a fitting Model or Skin to be Approved. That's why I'm saying that this will be the most idiot rule in THW if enforced.

Level 23
I think the discussion has become quite sensless. It's impossible to change this rule without getting many people on the hive annoyed which would cause that there would be less submissions, what, in the last instance, would not be the result that was aimed by your suggestion!

Level 6
Anyway, IF that rule is enforced, then the reverse must be applied at the Icon section to make it logical. Meaning that an Icon MUST have a fitting Model or Skin to be Approved. That's why I'm saying that this will be the most idiot rule in THW if enforced.

Of course not. Icon doesn't need to have a fitting spell, unit etc. Icons have multiple usages, one icon can be used to spell, item, icon for research, building, icon on scores etc etc. This is why I disagree with you. It's not senceless, it's meant to make skinners to improve their work and make it useful for everyone who visits website.

Level 16
Meh. Making Icons is easier than a Skin. BUT. Do you know that, in fact, some Icons were actually just Screenshots of the Model's or Skin's Potraits? Okay. Cloudwolf and 67chrome ALWAYS make an Icon for their Skin. That's a sign of professionalism, okay, that's good. Plus, they want to say "It's not that hard to make a fitting Icon!". However, not every people can make an Icon, even if they can make Skin. Reasons can be Time, Hurry, etc. If you want a Fitting Icon For Every Skin That You Use, ask kindly to expert Icon makers. Or make a thread in the Requests Forum. Right now, the only one who agrees with you is Elenai, a strict believer in perfectionism. Also, I think you want this rule to be enforced so that your project can be finished quicker and more beautiful.

Level 6
No, it's all because of a fact, that I AM making those icons myself at the moment. Because I am annoyed with the fact that people uploading their work don't pay enough effort. It won't help me, might help someone else...

Level 10
No, it's all because of a fact, that I AM making those icons myself at the moment. Because I am annoyed with the fact that people uploading their work don't pay enough effort. It won't help me, might help someone else...

If the skin is good they did pay an effort. And whats all that for you? You're acting like that you speak in every skinner word. Many might not agree with you.

Besides, there are plenty enough custom icons in THW which could fit for nearly all skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.