• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hurricane Irene (August, 2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
hurricane-irene-2011-s.jpg

I have no doubt that all those residing in America have heard of - if not been, in some way, affected by - this terrifying natural disaster of 2011. Yes, Hurricane Irene was an incredibly powerful tropical hurricane that hammered the U.S East Coast, as well as Puerto Rico and New England, in the past few days, inflicting catastrophic damage on North Carolina, New York and Vermont, especially, with wind speeds reaching 120MPH (195KMPH).
Officials state that the resulting cost as a result of the damage could amount to at least $10.1 billion. Thus far, it is also believed that the hurricane resulted in the deaths of 27 people. If you are concerned about who was killed in particular, no names have been given out yet, but there is a list describing the deceased. Hundreds of thousands of residents in New York, among other places, have also been left without power or electricity when the hurricane swept through the city's streets, and mass evacuations of low-lying areas, such as Lower Manhattan, had to take place prior to the hurricane's arrival. In the wake of the hurricane, it has also been reported that a post-tropical cyclone has spawned, but is of far less concern than the original hurricane.

What is your opinion about this matter? Could better precautions have been taken? Is this a sign that nature will always triumph over mankind, even here in the 21st century?

Level 7
I am sorry to hear about the damage caused, Takakenji. Still, I am relieved to hear you, at least, are one of the unharmed. I don't live in or around the U.S.A (I live approximately 8000 miles away, in fact), but my thoughts and prayers still go out to those affected. I certainly hope they manage to rebuild and revitalize the communities. My girlfriend's family lives in North Carolina, so I'm still awaiting news there.
From what I've heard, this is certainly going to make the economical crisis worse...

Level 7
^ The Philippines too, huh? Wow, it seems tropical disasters are commonplace nowadays. Quite scary, in fact. And, Imtor, about the connection - I doubt there is a physical connection - Earthquakes may result in tsunamis, but rarely hurricanes, if hurricanes at all.
And, just an update to my first post:
To those concerned over who, specifically, were killed by the damage caused by Hurricane Irene, a list giving the names of most of the deceased has been posted: Click

Level 7
If so, then I apologize. Still, conspiracies, in general, regardless of their nature, don't relate to natural disasters, which this topic is about. Natural disasters, in the long-term, are highly unpredictable and uncontrolled by humans, unlike conspiracies, which are carefully structured ploys devised by humans, not necessarily known by others. Besides, this whole thing is straying away from Hurricane Irene. Still, that's old news now. This thread could be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.