• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Humanitarian effort of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I wonder. Who is benefiting from over-inflating this problem this much? Common flu kills far more people than this virus each year. If you look up the actual casualties of this virus, it's mostly old people. Because this virus isn't much of a threat to a young, healthy adult with a properly working immune system.

Such hysteria benefits medical companies the most I'd say. I mean, when else selling has this much profit?

True we have to take precaution and do preventive actions, but hysteria is bound to cause chaos. It's also easier to blame something on a certain group of people, as long it's not your group of course (like the wave of Islamophobia during the mass refugee and the recent Sinophobia cause of coronavirus).

More on infodemics, paranoia, hysteria, Sinophobia than the actual virus problem. I mean that Italian news @deepstrasz posted just shows how much fake information caused extreme hysteria and paranoia, which eventually led to Sinophobia.

Some similar issues in other countries:
A crowd in Ukraine threw bricks at buses carrying coronavirus evacuees from Wuhan to quarantine
Disquiet in Indonesia’s Natuna over use of island as quarantine site amid coronavirus outbreak

Level 11
Still precautions have to be taken.
Hmm I guess this does benefit the markets. It's happening in my country as well, even though we don't have a single virus case. It was recently on the news, that authorities are considering declaring an extreme situation.
People are buying stuff like crazy. I went to a supermarket yesterday and the shelves were literally half empty. Buckwheat, other grain products were almost gone. And it's a bloody capital, not some province town.

@Daffa
Please refrain from using these nonsense terms like "islamophobia". Unless you are referring to actual phobia, better not to use words with -phobia ending at all. These terms are not only misleading, but are widely used to shutdown arguments of other people. Even if those are legitimate arguments. If this virus was actually a big threat, people would be absolutely justified in desiring to close down country walls to migrants from China. The same thing was with refugee crisis.

I am referring to the actual phobia itself. It's natural to close borders and all, but the problem lies with how people treat other people from certain ethnic group like they are spawn of satan. I mean the recent reports at Italy shows that a lot of racism against Sino people are getting massive because of coronavirus. This includes Sino people whom already stayed and become Italian years ago.

Actual human nature? How lovely. Being fearful is natural, but justifying the extreme actions with that is a bit... much.

Let's see:
1. Wishing a person's daughter to be raped.
2. Cause chaos in shops.
3. Damaging business of certain groups.

Doesn't seem to constitute well as human nature to me. My point is on inappropriate actions that some people took is being extreme unnecessarily.

Anyway, can't argue with human nature, since everything humans do is part of human nature.

Level 5
Ye

This whole coronavirus thing is scarier g the hell outta me lately, I mean who actually knows how widespread this thing really is....

Level 11
Italy coronavirus toll soars as north sealed off: Live updates
Italy seemingly is becoming like China.
The cases there merely amounted to a bit above 400 back in Feb. 27. At the second day of March, it was over 4000. Now it is over 7000.

On the other hand, Wuhan closed 11 out of 14 makeshift hospitals, as many patients are discharged, and number of new cases is going down:

Considering Italy is taking drastic measures to fight this virus, it's possible, that we are seeing the end of the outbreak.

Level 11
2 new coronavirus cases confirmed in Lithuania - LRT
2020 coronavirus pandemic in Lithuania - Wikipedia
"On 12 March, Government of Lithuania ordered all public events indoors, where greater number than 100 people can take part, to be cancelled. On the same day, government ordered to close all educational institutions including kindergartners, public schools and universities with a recommendation to apply virtual remote learning for two weeks.
"
Talk about over-reacting... Things are getting lit here in Lithuania...

Level 11
Covid-19: Lithuanians stuck at Polish-German border to be flown home by military plane - PM

Apparently, a bunch of people from Baltic countries (the source just mentioning Lithuania) got stuck at German-Poland border when Poland closed it's borders down. There are videos being streamed on FB about the entire ordeal. Masses of people waiting for Poland to grant them access so they can return home.

By the way,
Silver lining of the virus? :D

Level 2
@deepstrasz You know the way everything is going down at the moment, I would not be the least bit surprized if by the end of this pandemic the biggest mortality rate will be among the medical staff

Level 20
I wonder. Who is benefiting from over-inflating this problem this much? Common flu kills far more people than this virus each year. If you look up the actual casualties of this virus, it's mostly old people. Because this virus isn't much of a threat to a young, healthy adult with a properly working immune system.

I might be late on this one but ill give my two cents.

It spreads really fast just like the flu,and as with all viruses there is a high possibility that it can mutate to a much more agressive strain capable of killing even healthy adults such as me and you.
So the precautions taken aren't farfetched the mass hysteria on the other hand it is...But you know...People will be people and in this time and age whith all the "professional" articles written and shared everywhere one can get lost and get caught in the hysteria.

However let us not forget that there is a substantial number of older folks in the western Europe add to this the fact that diabetics and people with heart disease are more prevalent on the developed countries...You can see that the precautions might be sound.

Look at the Italy...

Edit:I've been wondering who's benefiting from it too...I mean you could say all the giant food producers are sure as hell making a buck out of this but that be a tad bit to shortsited...Nevertheless government conspiracy or not...Chinese have to put an end to this exotic meat markets...SARS first and Now COVID both of zoonotic origins both originated from Bats...You know there is a reason why our ancestors prefered to domesticate sheeps,goats,pigs,cows and chickens as food sources and not pangolins,bats and what not.

Last edited:
Level 11
Edit:I've been wondering who's benefiting from it too...I mean you could say all the giant food producers are sure as hell making a buck out of this but that be a tad bit to shortsited...Nevertheless government conspiracy or not...Chinese have to put an end to this exotic meat markets...SARS first and Now COVID both of zoonotic origins both originated from Bats...You know there is a reason why our ancestors prefered to domesticate sheeps,goats,pigs,cows and chickens as food sources and not pangolins,bats and what not.
You can eat meat of various animals just fine, the important thing is to cook it properly. I cannot imagine some small Chinese market to actually keep up quality standards though... I guess it's just better to either prepare your own food, or, if you eat out, make sure you visit trustworthy places. Even if they are more expensive.

Level 20
You can eat meat of various animals just fine, the important thing is to cook it properly. I cannot imagine some small Chinese market to actually keep up quality standards though... I guess it's just better to either prepare your own food, or, if you eat out, make sure you visit trustworthy places. Even if they are more expensive.

1.Not entirely true there are bacterias(i know we are talking about viruses here but) that form cysts which makes them extreamly resistant to heat so no cooking them properly isn't a 100% method to keep you safe besides people now consider well done meats as "meh" everyone has gotten into the rare,medium rare band wagon.
2.Why i said they have to put an end to this exotic meat markets...Animals there are kept alive in cages so the chances of the virus spreading from animal to human are extremly high.
Even if they capture and butcher them still there is a high chance that the virus might spread (you know this markets are extremly unsanitary) not to mention there might be people who prefere to eat their meat raw like that one video where some chinese dudes were eating still alive baby mice.
Watch at your own risk:
GROSS WARNING: Foul moment Chinese man eats mice alive

Edit:Just to clarify I am not here claiming that the chinese ppl have to change their ways or traditions BUT when this things seriously threaten the entire world...I am going to give my two cents.

I've seen some supposedly chinese folks in social medias and YT comments claiming that this isn't done by 90% of the people that live in China but then again...Thats anecdotal evidence so i tend to take it with a pinch of salt.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
1.Not entirely true there are bacterias(i know we are talking about viruses here but) that form cysts
Worms/helminths/parasites have cyst protection. The other way for bacteria to be in an organ formed cyst is for the cyst to be there already because of said organ wall being anatomically or traumatically weak, otherwise it's called abcess and it's created by the white cells trying to isolate the invading microorganisms.

Level 20
Worms/helminths/parasites have cyst protection. The other way for bacteria to be in an organ formed cyst is for the cyst to be there already because of said organ wall being anatomically or traumatically weak, otherwise it's called abcess and it's created by the white cells trying to isolate the invading microorganisms.

I meant it as in Bacterias themselfs form microbial cysts (i am sorry in my native tongue we refere to microbial cysts difrently that was a oversight by my part), as part of their life cycle not a cyst as in a cavity filled with pus.

Level 11

courtesy of a HiveWorkshop member.
I think, that schools should create a couple of choices for those attending them:
1) Go to actual school, but have to wear a mask.
2) Study from home, looking at the streams of the lessons.

Both of these options could easily be available at once. It isn't that much trouble for the teachers to just live-stream their lessons, now is it? There's no reason why these two choices shouldn't be available.

Also, this kinda raises another problem with modern schools - their mandatory status. It should be people's own responsibility to educate themselves and their children. And they should have multiple different options for that. Including home-schooling, private schools, private teachers.

In general, government shouldn't be sticking it's nose into family matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.