• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to tell wc3 to take another mpq ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I don´t know...but is this the right Place in this Forum to post this ? *thinking* ... oo

I have some Ideas ...like new Buildings and new Units ...but i whant to use them on all of the Maps... like a Mod..not only on one or two...
Therefore i have to put the new Things in a new MPQ or ?

But.. how the Game know that it have to use the new MPQ and not the Original ?_?

I have seeked in the Forum but found nothing about this.. :(

Thanks ^^

Level 32
It should be possible to open war3.mpq or war3x.mpq using a MPQ editor, import the desired content and then play (locally) using the edited file.
  • It would be advisable to back up your .mpq file(s) before doing so.

• Any modifications to your local .mpq file would apply only to that specific machine. A copy of Warcraft III using an edited .mpq file could not interact with remote computers (playing on Bnet for example) unless each such machine used the same identical .mpq archive.

Level 6
so that leaves you with two solutions:
1) (good) keep everything inside your map
2) (bad) distribute a modified mpq file (war3xlocal.mpq for example) and a loader which will rename mpq files, run the game and then revert mpq files when the game closes. that would mean that you shouldn't play other maps until you restart wc3, that you would make your map versions dependant on game patches and that you would have problems if you use other loaders for warcraft. most of all, you would have real problems convincing others to do that in order to play your map. do you see now why nobody does that?

Status
Not open for further replies.