• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How Can I edit WarCraft 3 .mpq files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
How Can I edit WarCraft 3 .mpq files without crash? (HELP)

Hello.
Excuse me to all, but... How can I edit WarCraft III .mpq main files? (like war3.mpq or war3x.mpq).

I used PowerMPQ and MPQEditor, but the game always crashes when I save a modified .mpq file.
I mean, I want to modify a .mpq file without starting the game and have a "CRITICAL ERROR" or an "ACCESS VIOLATION" or something like that.

PS: Srry, I'm not a good english talker U_u

Last edited:
Level 4
Yes.

But it is technically impossible for Blizzard to check have you modified your files or not. Unless they come to visit to your home.

MPQeditor and Viewer worked fine for me but I dont know why it keeps crashing since I didnt modify any files. Just wanted to take a look to them.

Is is too strange... Sc2 have got an official Mod Editor (inside the Map Editor). It will be so ironical that Wc3 mods are illegal.

QUESTION UNSOLVED

Last edited:
Level 5
Hello.
Excuse me to all, but... How can I edit WarCraft III .mpq main files? (like war3.mpq or war3x.mpq).

I used PowerMPQ and MPQEditor, but the game always crashes when I save a modified .mpq file.
I mean, I want to modify a .mpq file without starting the game and have a "CRITICAL ERROR" or an "ACCESS VIOLATION" or something like that.

Well with MPQEditor (sorry this may not answer your problem) it doesn't need to save it does it automaticly unless if its a different one your using.

Level 2
Hello.

Search the official .mpq file and compare it with yours. Maybe there is something you deleted or forgot to add in.

Level 20
then he is doing it inproperly.

there are even .mpq mods that replace default models/skins in wc3. some people use these .mpq packs especially in dota because they like fancy movels.

or maybe it works only with skins because models might have different different attributes and desync the game.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You edit them by first loading the header. Be warned that it is in little endien format so languages like java need to invert the byte order. You then create the decryption algerthim to decode the block and hashtables. Finally you load everything and edit to your hearts content.

For exact file specifications, I advise googling. Be warned that WoW and SC2 mpqs are slightly different although mostly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.