• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to set size of a special effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
For example I want my unit to hold a weapon in his hand but the model itself is quite small so it is not how I want it to be. It seems funny.

Another example I want my unit to hold a bucket in his hands, I create the bucket by special effects but it is so big it's the size of his upper body.

Is there way for me to change the special effect sizes?

Level 24
Textures work in very simple coordinates:
0,0 -> 1,0
.\/.......\/
0,1 -> 1,1

The upper left corner is (0,0)
The upper right corner is (1,0)
The lower left corner is (0,1)
The lower right corner is (1,1)

This will make any resolution (power2 square) texture be able to be used by the game.
Everything that uses pixels is just a n00b :D

Make the SFX an actual in-game unit and scale it
That is not possible with attachments... at least it is, but they won't be in the right position.

Level 24
You do have to import the models or use local files (you have to enable them:D).

Local files are a saviour when doing stuff like this because every time you have changed your model, you have to re-import it into your map... which you dont have to do with local files :D

Level 19
You do have to import the models or use local files (you have to enable them:D).

Local files are a saviour when doing stuff like this because every time you have changed your model, you have to re-import it into your map... which you dont have to do with local files :D

I imported them. I don't want to mess with local files :/

I changed the model's size it is now good but I think its attachment point is now stuck where it was before. It is attached to the hand but it is displayed above the hand. What should I change to make it stand on his hands. There should be a reference point.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/g...cation-168560/

Go to the Scale section, there is explained what I meant

"WoodenBucket" is not a valid path

This tutorial doesn't tell anything about custom models tho. It only uses in game models. Or I didn't see it.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

In theory, you can, in practice using the model editor is the better option.

Open the Model in Magos, open the Model Editor, choose Select All ( everything should be green now) then go to Transformation and type in something to scale. Type in for x, y and z the same value and hit the button.

EDIT:
This tutorial doesn't tell anything about custom models tho. It only uses in game models. Or I didn't see it.
Since you create a custom model it should work the same way, if you add a valid path to the imported model.

Level 19
Since you create a custom model it should work the same way, if you add a valid path to the imported model.

But guessing that you created the custom model and set its model to "WoodenBucket" imported to the map. Then you changed its sscaling value to ".4".

But there should be a problem here now I think, because it will take the path of this model not from the object editor but from its normal path. Then it should be again scaled as 1.

But changing the model from editor will work because it is now a small object.

I am just guessing though. I might be wrong :D

Level 24
The origin may or may not be used as the center point of the scaling that you have done...
You may have to check out the options of the center point of the scaling when editting the model.

Maybe you would have to find the attachment point as well... which is not really obvious for me how to find it... which comes to the point that you need a modeller to tell you :D

Level 19
Okay I tested two things now it works thanks to you guys.

First, I scaled it down by it center of mass which resulted in the buggy way.

I just scaled it down by pivot points it works properly!

Thank you both for quick replies! +rep :D

(It seems i have +rep ped you somewhere else Wietlol i can't +rep again :D)

Level 6
Okay I tested two things now it works thanks to you guys.

First, I scaled it down by it center of mass which resulted in the buggy way.

I just scaled it down by pivot points it works properly!
How it can works properly? Scaled model will ruin the animations.
I am also facing the same situation, a custom model with very big attach effect. But have not found a solution.

Level 6
So using the special effect natives to scale the effect down does not work?

Scaling models should not mess up animations if done correctly.
A hero interacts with a lot of effects in the map so the most effective way is to scaled the model.
Using War3 Model Editor will mess up all animations.
Any way, I found solution to scaled model that doesn't mess up the animation: use Reteras Model Studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.