• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • ✅ The POLL for Hive's Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Vote for the TOP 3 SKINS! 🔗Click here to cast your vote!

How to Remove Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
You can restore most of the data, but not the terrain.

1. Download War3 Model Editor (Tools Section)
2. Extract it somewhere
3. Open it
4. Click "Edit -> Register Extentions"
5. Check the *w3x, *w3m and *w3u extentions
6. Close the program
7. Locate your map
8. Right-click and click "Open with War3 Model Editor"
9. Export all the data you need and import it back into a new map

But please do not use this method in order to steal any other data from maps that do not belong to you.

Level 14
As stated by light bolt30: Please Do not talk about deprotecting any maps here at THW.

Thanks,
-Arkon Kaos (A.K.A. Vital_Sin)

P.S. MortAr-, you should know better than to post what you did.

(I'm no mod, but I know that you aren't supposed to talk about deprotecting maps..)

Level 5
As stated by light bolt30: Please Do not talk about deprotecting any maps here at THW.

Thanks,
-Arkon Kaos (A.K.A. Vital_Sin)

P.S. MortAr-, you should know better than to post what you did.

(I'm no mod, but I know that you aren't supposed to talk about deprotecting maps..)

Well i understand all of that... but it is my map with furnished proof...

Anywho I could care less about the triggers, the terrain and unit data was mostly i was gunning for but its alright thanks guys ill just start over, The game needed a large overhaul anyway...

Well you can, terrain, imported data, object editor work even triggers (jass)

But I will not explain how :ogre_hurrhurr:

EDIT:

A little FAQ for you from me :D
What are some of the Pro and Cons of Map protecting?

Pros:
- Keeps inexperienced users from opening your map and stealing credit and/or hacking the game :ogre_haosis:
Cons:
- People cannot learn from your maps :ogre_icwydt:
- if you lose the original, you're screwed :ogre_rage:

As you can see, there is no need for it :ogre_kawaii:

How safe is map protecting?

As you've already read above, map protecting might keep some "noobs" away from opening your maps in world editor.
The fact is, as long as warcraft 3 can open your map, theres a way to repair the map, so it can be opened by the World Editor.

Attachments

• (10)Cops N Robbers V3.0 - Deprotected.w3x
    290.4 KB · Views: 462
Level 3

1. Download War3 Model Editor (Tools Section)
2. Extract it somewhere
3. Open it
4. Click "Edit -> Register Extentions"
5. Check the *w3x, *w3m and *w3u extentions
6. Close the program
7. Locate your map
8. Right-click and click "Open with War3 Model Editor"
9. Export all the data you need and import it back into a new map

But please do not use this method in order to steal any other data from maps that do not belong to you.

Hello MortAr, I tried the steps you described but an error message pops up saying - Unable to create the registry key ".mdl". What should I do in order to regerster the *w3x, *w3m, and *w3u extensions? The error pops up every time I try to register them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Hello MortAr, I tried the steps you described but an error message pops up saying - Unable to create the registry key ".mdl". What should I do in order to regerster the *w3x, *w3m, and *w3u extensions? The error pops up every time I try to register them.
There are many different forms of "protection". In any case use MPQEdit to extract files.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
but how do I view my map after I extract the files?
Some of the files can be put into another working map archive. This includes pre-placed object files and terrain mesh files. Other files such as SLK files could in theory be converted back to object editor data files with a non-existent program. Some files like GUI trigger file are gone for good but the JASS map script can be imported as a massive JASS trigger, obviously removing the standard initialization function definitions that overlap with a map's inbuilt ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.