• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to portect a map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
How to protect a map?

edit: haha didnt notice i spelled protect wrong in the titel until i hit ok my bad...

I'm pretty sure this has been asked a good number of times before, but I was wondering how you can make your maps protected from other people opening them in the editor(making annoying rip-offs/rigged versions). So far I know it has something to do with deleting certain items out of the map that arent needed to run the map but make it un-openable in the editor since the map is damaged? Any help on explaining this to me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Army_Strong

Level 11
There are many ways to do so, but the most simple one is to create a blank .txt file, then import it to your map through Import Manager and change it's path to war3map.wtg

Anyway, don't protect your map unless you really need to - people have nowhere to learn from.
Seriously, if it's a single-player map, there won't be any rip-offs. It's best not to do it.

edit: oh yea, and it's still openable if you know how (like any other method)

Level 9
protecting your map is simple. use txt on your last resort because it does not help anything. get vex's optimizer (easily googled). it can reduce your map size yet protect it. however, if you are gona protect some 200kb game, then i rather you not because it will be a waste of time =.=

red, how would you like your orpg to be stolen on the first day of uploading? =D

Level 3
It is not going to be a single-player map im currently working on many multiplayer maps (RPG, survival, vamps) and I dont want to see any rip-off maps... they can expect updated maps from me lol. But i will gladly send a fixed map version to anyone wanting to learn how to work with the map editor because i remembered how hard it was for me to start off... but if its just open to the public in general I cant trust that anoying rip-offs/rigged versions wont be made (like many maps before mine).

But yea the simplest way can be easily moved around thats why i was looking for a more difficult way to do it so do you or does anyone else know a more complex way of doing it?

Anyways thanks for the feedback and thanks for the response.

edit: didnt see your response AC but thanks for that and yea thats what i mean i dont want to see my ORPG stolen on the first day of its realease lol Im not trying to come across as snoby.

Level 9
piece of advice : dont try to multitask when your a beginner. i know, you wan to make many maps and have many ideas, but finishing one and doing another will work.

dont try advanced way. why do you want it the advanced way? the world is not made of professional hackers and thieves, 99% of the wc3 community dont even know how to use world editor.

Level 3
Im not saying crazy advance way lol i was just saying one better than adding a blank notepad lol im not woried about crazy hackers that want to steal w3 maps if they know how to i guess kutos to them? I jsut want a better one then the notepad way.

Also thanks for the advice I understand you there I just like to write out the plans/ideas for all of my maps and then work on them one by one. So dont worry im not trying to juggle 3 maps at once just planning them all out. + rep for your help

Thanks for the tutorial included will be a big help +rep (even thought you probably dont need it :) )

SOLVED thanks for all the help guys and the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.