• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Protecting is there a way to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Don't you mean not openable in world editer, and but playable in game?
If so, then get vexorian's map optimizer
(it's in tools section)

If you mean you don't want the game to play, then you could just make the player lose right when the game starts

Level 13
No. I mean like Wc3 crashes if you wanna play it, but people can still look at it in the editor and learn from it.

Like if I wanted to show people a demo of a map but didn't want them to host it. Just look at it in the Editor.

Level 11
That sounds like a pretty stupid form of protection. But I see why you want it. You could hide map-crashing triggers/(other things) almost anywhere.

Just take some of your triggers and put things into them like: ExecuteFunc("ThisDoesn'tExist") <--- That will crash the game.

Level 11
Just a few more methods of making your map unplayable.
  • Evil
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Execute F#*@%^(#@^
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Game - Defeat (Picked player) with the message: Defeat!)
      • Custom script: call QueuedTriggerRemoveByIndex(GetPlayerId(Player(-3)))
You can put those actions anywhere. Whenever they run the user will be defeated/crashed.

Another method of crashing the map upon load is to set the maximum hero level to a negative number. Hold 'shift' before you double click the value. (This will let you put in negative values)

There are millions of ways to make your map crash!

Attachments

• AnotherCrash.jpg
    AnotherCrash.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 121
Level 11
Thats why you take each action and you put them in dozens upon dozens of triggers. This will make them search. You cal also use different methods like the hero level method I specified above.

Heres something that'll annoy the hell out of anyone trying to play your map. Replace the Advanced --> Game Interface --> Models - Cursor with Blank.mdl or something like that.
It removes the cursor!

Another great one: Import (any) file (perferbly a blank one) and give it the path "Scripts\Blizzard.j" When your map saves it will come up with 1 zillion errors. Just click ok. It will have saved properly despite the errors. If you try to play, it won't even start loading. It just silently fails!

Attachments

• NoCursor.jpg
    NoCursor.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 21
Make a trigger which the game just NEEDS to play and put there the 'unable to play' actions in. When they remove the trigger it would probably be to complicated to restore it or it would be to much work. Something tricky..

but all they have to do is remove those actions from the trigger...

Like every form of protection, it's deprotectable. And in this case I just find it plain stupid, making a map that you want people NOT to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.