• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to play unit Walk animation when it's not moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello folks
So I have this unit in my map... The unit is not moving, just standing there, but I want it to play Walk animation [so it's walking, but it wont move]
Is it possible to do so?
Unit - Play Unit Animation doesn't work for some reason :/ [or did I screwed something?]
Thanks

Level 18
If you want it to play the walk animation at any time, you should edit the model and set the walk animation to the stand animation.
If you want it temporarily, set the movement speed to 0 or 1 (don't know if 0 causes issues) and order it to move somewhere. It'll move so little you'll won't notice and it will play the walk animation normally.

Level 13
You can change movement speed with item abilities (I don't know which one exactly). I suggest not setting it to 0, cause it does have issues: the unit itself doesn't move, but something else is moving what appears to be it's shadow. Anyways, it's a weird bug.

Another way to achieve this is having a periodic trigger that always moves the unit instantly to the point where it should be standing, that way it'll walk, but it will also be put back each...for example 0.03, so it won't be noticeable.

Level 12
I thought the Unit - Set unit animation solution was too obvious. There's no need for JASS when you can just make it play it's walk animation.

Did you try it sometimes? I guess no, becouse if unit is standing, not even chuck norris will force it to play walk animation via this stupid gui action. Next time, when solution is "obvious", try this "obvious" sollution, and see if it works.

Anyway, I do not call things "obvious" when they do not work.

btw, thanks is going to Infrane from wc3.net, there is great tutorial about cins&stuff.

Level 13
Thanks for your reply anyway, I appreciate it

Np. Restor's solution is better, I agree.

Hm SetUnitAnimationByIndex does work, I didn't know that, that's cool.

Did you try it sometimes?

Nope.

I guess no

Whoa...you can read minds??

becouse if unit is standing, not even chuck norris will force it to play walk animation via this stupid gui action.

Don't say that, Chuck Norris can do anything.

Next time, when solution is "obvious", try this "obvious" sollution, and see if it works.

Whatever.

Anyway, I do not call things "obvious" when they do not work.

I didn't know SetUnitAnimation doesn't work.

endfunction

Level 12
I cannot read minds, but if someone just write his "obvious solution" which I am 100% sure that it doesnt work, I KNOW 100% that he didnt test it. That is basic logic.

"I didn't know SetUnitAnimation doesn't work."
And you dont know many more things, like reading, couse see first post by rednek
"...Unit - Play Unit Animation doesn't work for some reason..."

So what have we learned here? We learned that not even knowing the answer is good, but also properly reading the question is very good thing. It usually helps people to NOT advice things, which are mentioned in question as not working things.

But this must be understood by more people on this site. By MUCH more people.

Level 28
Awww, don't go flaming politely now :sad:

It could be that rednek had done something wrong (if you read the first post correctly, you will see he also suggests that, but I guess you did, since we've all learned a lot from your speech).

Now, except for that: Silvenon has given another 'good' solution (Yes, I've tested it - it works really good if the movement speed = 1), it just depends on how you want the trigger to work.

What have we learned here?
There are always multiple solutions, sometimes, some of them are better, but most of the time, they're equally good (like in this case), it's depends on how you want to use the trigger.

Well, problem solved twice (or more).
I guess there's no need for us to keep saying what's right and what isn't, though I completely agree with Restor's speech in the previous post ("We learned that not even knowing the answer is good, but also properly reading the question is very good thing.").

Edit:
After reading Silvenon's next post (he probably didn't se mine :p), we can all agree that there are a few things that went wrong:
  • We cannot read minds (it would be really helpful in some newb-questions).
  • We don't all have the time to read a complete post, if the title looks 'obvious'
  • I am not needed in this conversation, neither do I want to be in it :X
  • Chuck Norris isn't a good tool when units need to be moved (or anything else that involves an object).

Level 13
"I didn't know SetUnitAnimation doesn't work."
And you dont know many more things, like reading, couse see first post by rednek
"...Unit - Play Unit Animation doesn't work for some reason..."

Lol, I only read the title. I know more things than you do, btw.

So what have we learned here?

We have learned that you can't read minds, which is very disappointing.

We learned that not even knowing the answer is good, but also properly reading the question is very good thing. It usually helps people to NOT advice things, which are mentioned in question as not working things.

But this must be understood by more people on this site. By MUCH more people.

I knew that already. I think this is actually the first time I only read the title and not the post.

And stop being such a pussy about it.

Level 12
What have we learned here?
There are always multiple solutions, sometimes, some of them are better, but most of the time, they're equally good (like in this case), it's depends on how you want to use the trigger.

Thats not true. They cannot be equally good. In gui standing unit canot play walk animation (only if moving with 1 speed). In custom script, it is possible. If you call it equally, then lend me 50€ and I will "equally" give them back. Agree?

(like in one avatar here on hive- read the mutha fucking thread, before writing mutha fucking post, something like this)

And I think I can read minds, couse I KNEW he didnt test it, and he DIDNT test it. So I was right.

Level 28
Thats not true. They cannot be equally good. In gui standing unit canot play walk animation (only if moving with 1 speed). In custom script, it is possible. If you call it equally, then lend me 50€ and I will "equally" give them back. Agree?
In this case: no, they can't be equally good
In other cases: yes, it is possible.

And I think I can read minds, couse I KNEW he didnt test it, and he DIDNT test it. So I was right.
I knew you were going to answer with some witty post, can I read your mind now?

Posting... and you
You will probably like this, by the way ;)

Silvenon said:
I don't know if anyone noticed, but this conversation is really really pointless.
I've noticed, so after this post, I won't say anything else :)

Status
Not open for further replies.