• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make creeps use items? (With benefits)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm working on this new Random Arena map and I wanted to make an option to have creeps wield items. They will have 2 inventory slots and use items. Now, I know you can easily just give them inventory, research it, bam they have items. But it won't do anything for them.. is there any way that.. say a Grunt picked up Claws of Attack it will actually boost its damage by 10? I've seen it done in Dark Deeds where there's an item that only a Knight can pick up and it gives him benefits so I know it's possible.. just don't know how.

Level 23
I don't get what you're asking much.

Well, I guess you could just give the unit the Inventory(Hero) ability with 2 Item capacity and give it to the creep (so that you don't need to research it). Then just give an item using
  • Hero - Create Claws of Attack +10 and give it to (Your Creep)
so that the creep will automatically get the bonus.

Level 7
Isnt there option in ability "Unit Inventory" that unit can use given item? I think normal units can only carry items, cant use them, try to tick that in Inventory ability.
Edit: Abilities ---Unit Inventory---Data: Can use Items: True/False

PS: i think game crashes when footman with unit inventory loots tome of intelligence/str :D

Level 4
Isnt there option in ability "Unit Inventory" that unit can use given item? I think normal units can only carry items, cant use them, try to tick that in Inventory ability.
Edit: Abilities ---Unit Inventory---Data: Can use Items: True/False

PS: i think game crashes when footman with unit inventory loots tome of intelligence/str :D

q.q Yeah. I noticed that in my game. :/ Anyway to make it so they can't pick up powerup items?

Also, another question.. sometimes when the units are picking up items they sort of.. eat them. It doesn't go into their inventory or give them bonuses. But when they die they will drop the items. I'm pretty sure this doesn't happen with heroes, just the units who I gave "hero" inventories to.

Last edited:
Level 4
I solved this by making powerups NOT use automatically once picked up. After that I just made a trigger that drops any tome that a non-hero unit acquires. (And dropping should be done by move item, not ordering unit to drop)

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll start doing that now... another question if you're there: The item Shamanic Totem which all it lets you do is cast Purge.. when I picked it up as a unit and used it it also made the game crash to desktop.. any idea why?

Status
Not open for further replies.