• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to make a Simple RPG

Level 6
Hey guys Kronos here to show you how to make a simple RPG and some ideas i am putting into mine

1.you will need a storyline and maybe an intro.The storyline must not be lame or unenjoyable after playing it 3 times :p .

2.You will need good terrain or a good terrain maker.Terrain is almost the most important in an RPGa and it will give a player where they may be currently maybe a dark palace or a peaceful forest or whatever you would like to choose.

3.You would need atleast a City or two and make it interesting and resourceful to players.For example you will need -A potion,armor,weapon,and maybe a scroll shop if you decide to put scrolls in your RPG.You must also make it as BIG as you can but dont take up like almost half the map or it might get to big for your other areas which could cause some disturbance(sometimes i make my places to big and they hit the end of them map when im not looking at the minimap).

4.Heros-You NEED them.
The most basic of all RPG's is Heroes make it Classes,Races,or jusst a person it doesnt matter just as long as you have a hero and a story:thumbs_up: .If you have classes i would reccomend Warrior,Mage,and Rogue type they are the classic classes in RPGs.If its just a person hero make it so other people can join in on it to.

5.Dungeons/Raids(if there are enough players)
Now this is optional but suggested,Dungeons are places where people go against higher level and stronger units,in a dungeon they must be stronger than normal units you may call them whatever but what i would do is this
(Kor'Kron Superior [ELITE])and put the elite in the colors Red,White,Yellow,Orange,or Gray.And a boss is needed at the end that is stronger than the "Elites" and they must be important to some kind of storyline to the RPG or it could create a Storyline that could be in the 2nd game of your RPG(if oyu want a 2nd like COT RPG POM is the second part to COT RPG).

6.Quests
There is one Quest tutorial that i just adore :cute: i forget the name tho :cry:
but your RPG needs quest for your Hero or Heroes to gain XP gain Gold and anything else you might want to make the Lumber to.Quests can be -Walk to someone,Get an item,or Kill Creatures.

7.Ressurection
Now you NEED this so people dont go all "WTF how do i respawn" or "This sucks where is teh respawnz?!?!?!" it is important.

GOOD LUCK MY RPG MAKERS!

8.Triggers
The most important in an RPG here are some of mine you might want to use

Respawn/Resurect

• Events
  • Unit - A unit Dies
  • Conditions
  • ((Dying Unit) is A Hero)Equal to True
  • (Owner of (Dying unit)) Equal to Player 1 (Red)
  • (Owner of (Dying unit)) Equal to Player 2 (Blue)
  • (Owner of (Dying unit)) Equal to Player 3 (Teal)
  • (Owner of (Dying unit)) Equal to Player 4 (Purple)
  • (Owner of (Dying unit)) Equal to Player 5 (Yellow)
  • (Owner of (Dying unit)) Equal to Player 6 (Orange)
  • Actions
  • Hero - Instantly revive (Dying unit) at (Center of (Playable map area)), Hide revival graphics
(You can set the revive anywhere you want and revival graphs your choice)

Retrieval Quest

• Events
  • Unit - A unit comes within 180.00 of Any unit
  • Conditions
  • ((Entering unit) is A hero) Equal to True
  • Actions
  • Game - Display to (All players) the text: Any text from giver
  • Quest - Create a Required quest titled (Name of Quest here) with the description (Description here) , using icon path (ICON here)
  • Set (QUEST VARIABLE here) = (Last created quest)
  • Trigger - Turn on Retrieval part 2
  • Wait - Wait 4.00 seconds
  • Trigger - Turn off this trigger
This part is the retrieval part-make a trigger so at start these triggers are off

• Events
  • Unit - A unit acquires a item
  • Conditions
  • (Item type of (Item being minipulated)) Equal to (Item needed for quest here)
  • Actions
  • Game - Display to (All player) the text:(Item here) #/# (Create multiple until the quest has all the items to be complete)
  • (if done do this if not create multiple of the above triggers)
  • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Update message:Turn in to quest giver
  • Trigger - Turn on Retrieval (Turn in)
  • Wait - Wait 2.00 seconds
Turn in part of retrieval

• Events
  • Unit - A unit comes within 180.00 of Any unit
  • Conditions
  • (Entering unit) is A Hero) Equal to True
  • Actions
  • (Cutscene is optional)
  • Quest - Mark (Last created quest) as Completed
  • Hero - Give the hero the exp and money (and maybe lumber) depending on the diffuculty of the quest
  • Wait - Wait 4.00 seconds

Last edited:
Hey kronos21. Sorry for the long delay. Anyway, this thread needs a bit more organization (example, bold headings, proper listing, etc.), and there are a couple of flaws with some of the code. (For example, you leak a location, and overall it is a bit broad)

If you could add some more specific things, such as how to make specific portions of an RPG that are key (or generally features that are often included) it would be a bit better. Since just telling us what to make doesn't help too much. =)

If you can, update this within a week/notify me that you will fix it or else I will have to graveyard this. Sorry. =(

EDIT:

No updates have been made within a week. Please notify me if you are willing to update again/if I have made a mistake.
~Graveyarded.

Last edited: