• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to make a Killable Projecile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Is it possible to make a killable projectile?
for example, what if you can make a Siege Unit's projectile killable so it can be targeted and destroyed by a ranged unit.

Level 13
It would be possible, though i don't know how smooth the projectile would be.

Projectile systems usually use a unit with locust which is triggered to behave like a projectile, you would then simply remove locust so it can be targeted; though removing locust might cause the projectile to behave differently with things like collision.

Level 12
It would be possible, though i don't know how smooth the projectile would be.

Projectile systems usually use a unit with locust which is triggered to behave like a projectile, you would then simply remove locust so it can be targeted; though removing locust might cause the projectile to behave differently with things like collision.

Adding Invisibility(visible) to the unit makes it have no collision and still works perfectly, that is the solution

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Is it possible to make a killable projectile?
for example, what if you can make a Siege Unit's projectile killable so it can be targeted and destroyed by a ranged unit.

To make a siege weapon create a killable projectile, a projectile system you must make, or find one premade projectile system at this site, but I don't know if anyone made one without using locust which itself is not targetable. It's not something you can do in unit editor, but in triggers. If you are experienced mapper and familiar with the triggers and perhaps even JASS then this shouldn't be too hard for you.

A killable projectile is a unit created with triggers.

If you want the projectile unit to be targeted by normal units, you don't give it locust ability. If you want to reduce health bar visiblity use Unit - Selection Scale/Circle to negative value -1.0 (Double click + shift)

What DaneTheBeast suggest might work well too, but I haven't tried that personally myself.

Level 24
My missile system is able to do this and this has been implemented as basic feature.

However, you do have to realize that you have to target the missile which is nearly impossible if the missile is flying with 1000+ speed and it is not automatically acquired.
On the other hand, having such a thing is done quite a lot of times in AAA games.
One example is Strategic/Tactical Missile Defense in Supreme Commander.

My system is pure JASS (no Structs, no GUI) however, to use it in GUI isn't really a problem at all.
I still have to make a proper release version of it to be able to be used generically and there are still some features that I have to implement in the system.

You can make this yourself (however according to my rules, I am not allowed to disrecommend a system) by making the missile yourself and simply not adding the locust ability.

There is one small difference between not adding locust and adding it and removing it via transformation which is that your missile will not be able to be controlled (but still targeted) when you remove locust via transformation.
It is a small thing but you probably want to have it.

Reactions: TKF
Level 2
it's been a while since I visited.
Thanks guys for the suggestions
thought I never get a reply but since this is quiet hard, I think I'm gonna stop trying and resume my work on other stuffs.

by the way I'm cooking something up. Please visit my profile and check it out

Last edited:

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

It would require triggers.

You'd have to create a unit when a unit attacks and that unit will have to be moved with a loop. The difference between this and a standard skill shot ability is that here the missile itself will not have locust and can be killed whilst flying towards its target.

Status
Not open for further replies.