• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a bridge walkable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Try to use invisible platforms. It is a doodad that allows to create a custom pathing, like a bridge or a stair.
Remove the pathing of the bridge, so it is behaves like a doodad ( or make it a doodad) and place invisible platforms allowing you to simulate the bridge by using different heights.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Doodads can not be made walkable even if you have the checkbox clicked. Turn your bridge into a destructable and it will work.

If one remove the pathing, then it behaves like being nothing, doesn't it ?
Then one can simply walk over it.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

He wants to make the units walk on top of the model, not disable the pathing of the bridge. Ticking "walkable" in the OE does exactly that.

I recall that some bridge models require a custom pathing with invisible platforms, as they cannot use default ones. I simply tried to help.

So, ticking 'walkable' for a destructible bridge makes units walk smooth over it ? I wish I had known this before...

It sounds like his problem is that World Editor doesn't realise bridges is walkable until the game starts up, and until you get ingame, the models will phase through the bridge instead of standing on top of it. If so, there is no solution to that problem, and you just have to try and predict the units ingame positions when placing them.

Level 13
Everytime, when I place a unit and make it go to the bridge, it will just penetrate through the bridge. So how can I make the bridge walkable?

If I understand it correctly, your placing a unit into the bridge via WE and the unit doesn't seem to be standing on top of the bridge. But instead it goes right below the bridge? Check it in-game it then.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Ardenian is correct. Invisible platform. Can anyone show a screeny bout the invisible platform?

Well, I don't think I was 'correct'. I simply understand the question in a way than you wanted to know an answer.

The invisible platform is located under the bridge category.

Basically, you place them like a doodad.
Then, you use CTRL + PgUp/PgDn, as Rheiko said, to change the height of the invisible platform.

Screen 1: We have a doodad, but the units simple walk 'under' it, on the ground.

Screen 2: We place some invisible platforms, but they are on the ground, so nothing changed.

Screen 3: Using CTRL + PgUp/PgDn, we move them to make units walk appropriate 'over' the bridge.

Requires some testing, but is worth the effort. You might want to place the platforms first and then move the bridge there.

Note: You have to place pathing blockers at the sides, where no invisible platform is to prevent units walking in the abyss

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.