• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How to maka a spell preview like this? (Check all links to understand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

old

old

Level 6
Spell preview 1 - Electric Conduit v2.01
This spell preview (Spell preview 1) is perfect, doesn't show the cursor, doesn't show the health bar, heroes stats and Skills CD, etc... does not show nothing! only the spell and its effect. How to make something like this?

Spell preview 2 - Breath of Fire v1.4
This one (Spell preview 2) is not so cool, it shows the cursor, the AoE of skill, heroes stats, etc... everything that the other one make right, this one don't.

I want to know how to make like spell preview 1.

Both spells don't show videos, they show GIFs (stack of Images displayed after each other + looping).
Dat Spell 1 has no targeting.

If you don't want to show targeting and cursor you could use the warcraft 3 replay system to create the scene.
Might be a good idea to play the scene with an second inactive bot-player to get rid of the selection circle.
Now play your map containing the spell.

Then watch the replay
  • positionate your ingame camera
  • switch to inactive player
  • disable fog of war.
  • disable show helthbar in options or press alt
  • move your cursor onto the replay control (cuted out anyway, later)
  • use a "screen to video" software, or take alot of "screenshots" .
  • directly use a "screen to GIF" software
  • you can change speed quite well that way
if you used the screen to video thing, transform the video to images.
Select enough pics showing the wanted result.
Now use for example Gimp (freeware)

If you use gimp start it.
select all wanted Images and Drap-Drop them into gimp screen.
Then choose Rect selection:

Select the wanted part of the image.
Right Click: Image - size to selection (no idea how that is called in english)
Under File: Export as
Choose the Path and write the ending .gif
Error warning: Say yes to the wanted cut down.
Finished.
Might be played in the wrong order if that happens you have to move around the layers.
or search with goole or bing "gimp create gif".

Last edited:

old

old

Level 6
Both spells don't show videos, they show GIFs (stack of Images displayed after each other + looping).
Dat Spell 1 has no targeting.

If you don't want to show targeting and cursor you could use the warcraft 3 replay system to create the scene.
Might be a good idea to play the scene with an second inactive bot-player to get rid of the selection circle.
Now play your map containing the spell.

Then watch the replay
  • positionate your ingame camera
  • switch to inactive player
  • disable fog of war.
  • disable show helthbar in options or press alt
  • move your cursor onto the replay control (cuted out anyway, later)
  • use a "screen to video" software, or take alot of "screenshots" .
  • directly use a "screen to GIF" software
  • you can change speed quite well that way
if you used the screen to video thing, transform the video to images.
Select enough pics showing the wanted result.
Now use for example Gimp (freeware)

If you use gimp start it.
select all wanted Images and Drap-Drop them into gimp screen.
Then choose Rect selection:

Select the wanted part of the image.
Right Click: Image - size to selection (no idea how that is called in english)
Under File: Export as
Choose the Path and write the ending .gif
Error warning: Say yes to the wanted cut down.
Finished.
Might be played in the wrong order if that happens you have to move around the layers.
or search with goole or bing "gimp create gif".

War3 replay system? My warcrat doesn't have this (or i don't have any idea how to find it). Is there a replay system in hivework?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You make a trigger that orders the unit to cast it when the camera is positioned nicely. Recording is done by any old video capture software. In video editing one crops away the UI. One then either encodes it as a GIF (not recommended, GIF is a terrible format for video as it has as good as no compression) or upload to to YouTube and link that (more recommended, YouTube uses compression so is friendly to people with slow internet).

It is important to make sure that WC3 is set to a 4:3 aspect ratio before performing video capture. Otherwise one ends up with the stretched mess of example 2 as WC3 does not have wide screen support.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
It is important to make sure that WC3 is set to a 4:3 aspect ratio before performing video capture. Otherwise one ends up with the stretched mess of example 2 as WC3 does not have wide screen support.
I am uncertain if it actually works or just stretch but there is widescreen support from renderedge which is done with a simple file, I have forgotten the format.
If I recall it really is true widescreen support.

Level 37
Hm you could have asked me directly for this one. As Tasyen pointed out, the videos you see are actually GIFs. However, DSG also pointed out that GIFs aren't nice for people who have slow internet. I have plans of changing the GIF recordings to youtube videos instead.

...doesn't show the cursor, doesn't show the health bar, heroes stats and Skills CD...
Health bars didn't show because I disabled the "Health bars always visible" option in the WC3 menu. For everything else, they were just outside of the recording zone. As you can see here, it's still possible for all of them to appear in the recording.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am uncertain if it actually works or just stretch but there is widescreen support from renderedge which is done with a simple file, I have forgotten the format.
If I recall it really is true widescreen support.
It imperfectly hacks in wide screen support. It also is a third party modification so might be subject to BattleNet bans.

No need for any such thing if one simply sets the game to a 4:3 resolution. Even if just for the video capture. One is cropping away most of the image (the UI) anyway so all that really matters is that it provides correct 1:1 aspect ratio.

old

old

Level 6
Ok ok, lets change the question, first of all: How can i save a replay of warcraft 3 FT? What do i have to do to get a replay?
Here, it's not like dota where you quit game and there's an option: Save replay. When i quit game, nothing's on. Where, what, when and how save a replay

EDIT: Solved, i had to del "LastReplay" archive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.