• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a 2D preview for a model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi,As you know there is a preview for every model when you click on it.Its in down-left of the game.
It will show you the model from a specified look.
I saw in many maps... 3D preview is replaced with a 2D picture of that model.I want to know how to make that for a model.
Here is a example:
Screenshot_08_27_2017_02_20_51.png

Level 11
You make them basically the same as any other portrait. It's actually still 3d, just a single plane with a texture on it.

To have a unit model use a portrait file, you import it at the exact same path except adding "_Portrait" to the end. Eg, "Footman.mdx" -> "Footman_Portrait.mdx".

To make the portrait in the first place, well, look up the various 3d modeling tutorials on the site.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Hi,As you know there is a preview for every model when you click on it.Its in down-left of the game.
They are called portraits. They can come either from a separate model, or from a camera that is part of the main model.
I saw in many maps... 3D preview is replaced with a 2D picture of that model.I want to know how to make that for a model.
In Warcraft III you are unfortunately limited to creating a custom model which billboards the desired texture. One in theory could make a vector graphic 2D portrait using 3D primitives with an appropriate camera however this would likely require a lot of work but could potentially look better.

In StarCraft II there is a special mode to force 2D portraits which are separate images.

Level 3
Ty.Actually my real problem was the name of that part,So i couldn't research and find out about it.But if its called portrait i can search and learn how to make one.
Making a 2D Portrait is really important for my map,Because there aren't so much models for its story,Then i have to change them a bit but still models will have a bad view from the close look,So i thought to make a 2D portrait for models,In that way the bad view will solve and models will have a better look as you said.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.