• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom minimap preview problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey everyone. I just signed up here, but have been viewing the site for a few months now.

So, I'm working on my first map (it's actually into it's 3rd version now after fixing some problems) and I've gotten to the point where I want a custom minimap preview.

I followed the tutorial here on this site. But there is a problem that I can't solve. When I try to play my map, I can see the custom minimap preview picture that I imported, but when I host it online, people that download the map only see white.

Now I'm making a map that playable on RoC. I do have TFT, but I'm not making one of those maps with TFT features that's playable on RoC (not yet anyways). So I'm strictly sticking to RoC features.

The strange thing is, some people can see the picture. After much investigation, I believe to have found that people that have TFT can see the preview picture, while people that don't can't.

Before my other laptop broke, I only had RoC installed as a check to see if the map would work. Well, I saw white in the place of my picture. Whereas I can see the picture on the computer where I have TFT installed.

I have the picture saved as a .tga file and it is 256x192.

I have seen other RoC maps with pictures and after viewing them in the editor, I found that they are also .tga files.

Can anyone tell me how I can make my picture viewable to anyone that downloads the map?

Thanks very much in advance.

Level 20
This is a tutorial how to make a custom minimap preview image
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/minimap.php

And when making custom in-game minimap, just simply make 256x256 (pixels) image and save it as yourminimap.tga. Then import it into your map with Import Manager (F12 in world editor) and change its custom patch to "war3mapMap.blp".

EDIT :S
I readed your post to the end and... I don't know what can be a reason if some people aren't able to see it.

Orc

Orc

Level 4
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that RoC doesn't support 256 maps, therefore can't use 256 minimaps?

I'm just guessing as I've never made custom minimaps in RoC before, but I do know that RoC doesn't have 256x256 maps, so perhaps a minimap of that size isn't possible either; like I said, I'm just guessing.

Level 1
Well, I tried making the picture smaller. Got it to 128x96 and it looks so much worse than the 256x192.

I don't think the size matters because there are maps like hero wars icelands and hlw RoC that have very detailed pictures (must be 256x256) and people that have only RoC can view them perfectly fine.

Anyone have any ideas how what I'm doing wrong or how I can fix it so that RoC people can see my picture?

Any ideas at all, I'll try it out. Thanks.

Level 1
Maybe its your strange format. Try adding a black border in order to make it 256x256, or 128x128 if RoC cant display the other one.

But I'm just guessing too since tho only thing I ever made for RoC was a melee map and that doesn't need a custom minimap ;)

Level 1
Well, I found someone who had made an RoC map with a custom minimap preview and asked him about it.

He said that in his newest map, he was having the same problem that I am.

He then suggested that it might have something to do with the lastest update.

Guess I can't have my minimap preview, which sucks :(.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.