• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to increase the attack range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Not really possible. This question has been asked a lot of times. A quick google search gave me these threads:
increasing and then decreasing a unit's attack range
[Spell] - Increasing and decreasing target unit's attack range
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/increasing-and-decreasing-target-units-attack-range.276428/
You can use upgrades, but as you said they are permanent. You can use multiple upgrades or upgrade levels, if you only need to change it a finite number of times.
You can also dynamically change unit types, but unit morphing is often bugged in warcraft. This is probably the best way to do it, if you do not need to many different range values.
You could use a triggered attack system, but that's hard to make.

Level 13
depending on the number of levels you could maybe make like different versions of the hero with different attack ranges and replace it with the next version upon learning the ability and then set stats, items and other abilities etc. with triggers to the way they were before.

Level 19
You can tinker around base attack range and acquisition range. If you put a very long base range, you can then adjust the acquisition range via triggers to effectively reduce it (but never increase it past your base range).

Only drawback is that the tooltip of the unit won't update and displays base range regardless, but that's minor imo.

It does work, I use such system on my map. Requires a bit of triggering that's all.

Level 4
You can also use when an item is picked up, trigger it with some conditionals, create a dummy unit with research (that affects your unit), then your range is increase when you have the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.