• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to extract wc3patch.mpq from the new wc3 patches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
To optimize maps you need to point it to the war3.mpq file but that is no longer in the folder. I remember extracting it from he data file before but i forget how. Can someone let me know how to do it again?
Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You request a CASC extraction of the file.

That said the file is not at all useful since it only has a meaning inside the CASC local storage. Specifically it is a TVFS file containing folder structure with file to storage mappings. As far as I am aware no optimizer can make use of such a file or even needs to.

You can make your own by using CASCView to extract the folder and file structure from within the wc3patch.mpq file system and then using MPQEdit to create a custom wc3patch.mpq file containing those folders and files.

EDIT: Note that as of 1.31 there is no longer a wc3patch.mpq file inside the CASC archive. The folder structure was changed.

Last edited:
Level 13
You request a CASC extraction of the file.

That said the file is not at all useful since it only has a meaning inside the CASC local storage. Specifically it is a TVFS file containing folder structure with file to storage mappings. As far as I am aware no optimizer can make use of such a file or even needs to.

You can make your own by using CASCView to extract the folder and file structure from within the wc3patch.mpq file system and then using MPQEdit to create a custom wc3patch.mpq file containing those folders and files.
Ok so i dont need to make the file then to use Vexorian's optimizer in the newer wc3 patches?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Vexorian's Optimizer does not work well with the newer patches. One has to disable most of the optimization features as it makes hard coded assumptions which are no longer correct. Specifically it cannot cope well with the increased player slot count, often mangling player constants to incorrect values.

Level 7
Solution for the War3patch.mpq problem (I hope I remember all steps correctly) / How to optimize Maps with Verxorians Warcraft 3 Map Optimizer 5.0 in 2019 (Tested with Wc3 Editor Version 1.31b):
1. Get a CASC-Editor (e.g. Ladik's CASC Viewer).
2. Open the storage: Warcraft III/data/data
3. Extract the folder scripts to folder A
4. Get an MPQ-Editor (like Ladik's MPQ Editor, I did it with MPQ Master)
5. Extract an older version of the War3Patch.mpq (I used a version from 21.03.2017) to folder B
6. Copy the previously extracted scripts folder into folder B, overwrite all.
7. Use an MPQ-Editor to create a new MPQ-File War3Patch.mpq with the content of folder B.
8. In Verxorians Warcraft 3 Map Optimizer select your new War3Patch.mpq + Common.j and Blizzard.j from scripts folder
9. Optimize your map. For me it only causes an Error if I eneable "Compress names". Edit: Other settings cause problems too, need to try a bit.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.