• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to compress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Can someone help me i don't know how to fix this can you help me how to compress a map because when i start my map in an local area it says map file is too big.... help please:goblin_cry:

First, create a copy of your map, uncompressed. That will serve as a backup in case you end up doing something wrong and want to revert the process.

Your goal is to get your map under 8 MB, as that is the maximum for hosting on battle.net/LAN.

1) Remove any unneeded imports. If you don't use a certain import, make sure that you remove it. If you also feel like you can do without a certain import, remove that as well.
2) Do you have any sound files in your map? (ex: music, unit sounds) Those take up a lot of space, so download something like Audacity or Power Sound Editor to change the bit rates, reducing the file size of those sounds.
3) Do you have any imported models? I highly recommend you use MDX Squisher, it usually has no visible effects on the models but it compresses them very well. When you use them, you will get a _squished file, and it will appear to have no changes in file size. Import it anyway and replace the old one, as the file size changes are only noticeable when you import it into the editor. (when WE compresses it)
4) Do you have any large textures in your map? Use BLP Lab for quick compression on your textures. This method can be a bit noticeable in game, so make sure you don't reduce the texture quality too much unless you are willing to sacrifice it.
5) Finally, use Wc3 Map Optimizer on the file. Make sure you have a backup before doing this, as the file will end up being unopenable in the editor if you want the greatest compression.

Generally, these steps can take out massive chunks of file size. (reducing maps of 16 MB to 6 MB without any import removals) If your map is over 20 MB, you will most likely need to remove some imports to squeeze below the limit.

Good luck.

P.S. Wrong forum, this should be posted in World Editor Help Zone. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.