• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to alter sound effect of sleep spell? Custom Hero with Custom Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
TL;DR: How do I change the creepy noise of sleep spell into something holy (or whatever) sounding so a good hero can use the spell?

I am a novice working on a project and just trying to figure things out step by step. Please bear with me.

I'm trying to create a custom paladin hero. Currently, I have encountered one main hurdle. I wanted to give one the spell Repentance and I figured the easiest way to do that was to just functionally give him Sleep and rename it Repentance. But the problem with that is that it still makes that creepy dreadlord noise when cast and that ruins the feel of it for me.

The spell itself says it has no sound file so I am completely confused as to how to fix it. Anyone know what to do?

Side question:
One of the other spells I gave him was Retribution Aura which I made just by altering Thorns. It works perfectly, but I couldn't find an aura model that looked paladin-y. I went through about ten pages of custom models before giving up for now. If anyone happens to know one off the top of their head I'd appreciate a link.

Level 8
Yes.

No. Except if you mean the death sound. Unit responses are actually defined as a "Sound Set" in the Object editor.
You can not add your own sound set, unfortunately. However, you can overwrite the audio files in one of the existing sound sets via the import manager.

What do you mean?

I assumed I'd be able to record my own lines and then just load them in wherever the default sound files are saved. Is that not possible?

What do you mean?

I assumed I'd be able to record my own lines and then just load them in wherever the default sound files are saved. Is that not possible?
Yes. Basicly you just import your audio files and then change the import path to the filepath of the default sound files.
For example:
Units/Nightelf/Archer/ArcherYesAttack.wav

Level 29
I didnt do this before but since you cant define a custom soundset, id presume will have to manually trigger all what an soundset does automatically for you.
I dont know details like how to detect if the unit is active in subselection and then play the sound only, or how to play the sound only once when custom unit got selected with dragbox and happent to be the one that came on top.
Besides this would proabaly desync multiplayer.

It would roughly look like:
event
a unit is selected
condition
selected unit-type equal to custom unit type
actions
set variable=triggering unit
play sound customunitsoundwhat1.wav for owner of unit variable

a unit dies, of type custom unit, play its customunitdeath.wav sound,
a unit receives an order to attack or cast a spell, play its customunitwarcry1.wav,
etc...

Unless you insist on the sleep cast special effect, you can get rid of it by editing the effect in OE rather than the model. Just remove the effect model and replace it with something fitting for your paladin. When the unit sleeps, it could even get the ZZZZzzzZzZz's like a sleeping creep. This way is much easier. Find the spell, look for the buff. Edit the buff ta da!

Status
Not open for further replies.