• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to add fog of war to some player buildings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Sorry for double posting but people avoided my thread since the title doesn't appear to have enough sense. If need be, deleted the previous thread.

There are 7 players, each player controls a footman. I want those footmen to not see their buildings that are further away in the map and use them until the get there..

I also want them to use those buildings only when they are nearby.
Those buildings are meant for upgrades.

I'd like to add the fog of war effect everywhere on the player's screen except his or her footman.

Level 6
you can make the buildings rescuable, and for the second part you can add select unit ability and make the buildings' researches instant upon buying their dummy units (if you want your researches to be instant though)

Level 7
Or maybe a way to make the camera follow the unit constantly? Surprisingly i haven't found an answer to that... Must be something really simple.

Level 11
What about creating an region arround the building and when the footman leaves this region you change the ownership of the building to neutral hostile or passive, then change the color of the building to the color of the player ? Then when the unit enter the region again you change it's ownership back to it's original owner

Level 7
you can make the buildings rescuable, and for the second part you can add select unit ability and make the buildings' researches instant upon buying their dummy units (if you want your researches to be instant though)
That won't really work well in this situation. Its a multiplayer map with 7 players. I dont want players rescuing buildings that aren't meant for them and vice versa.

Level 7
What about creating an region arround the building and when the footman leaves this region you change the ownership of the building to neutral hostile or passive, then change the color of the building to the color of the player ?
Ah! Great idea, though i'd have to mark them somehow so players would know which one of them belongs to them..
Maybe player color flags? That should do probably do.

Edit:
Yep, locking the camera is simple and it does it.
Thanks for helping guys.

Level 7
I think I have a better solution for you: In the object editor under the unit settings there's a field called "Stats - Line of Sight Radius" just change them to 0 and you'll get what you want!
Ahhh, Thanks. Couldn't find it... I keep calling it Unit editor and not Object editor for years.. I don't know why lol.

Edit: You got the name wrong, found it tho :p
3b30277cd0484d808c5101d3f38eb439.png

Status
Not open for further replies.