• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How many units can one computer player handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
My problem is this that after one computer has a few hundred units in the map the computer does not anymore order the units there where I triggered them to go but the units just stand and don't move. So I'm wondering is there a limit how many units can one computer handle and is there any way to get it higher? Do I need a second computer to command more units in the map without problem?

Level 11
Actually, at a certain unspecified number, units will stop correctly following orders. For example, in Winter Maul, you'll notice that the units are moving, but only one or two at a time. And they stop moving quite a bit. As far as I know there is no way to completely overcome this problem.

Level 11
Have you ever (in a single, or in a few rapid orders) ordered 100+ units to move to a single location? I've had this problem at least a dozen times, and its quite annoying. Even player commands cause this problem when the number of units is pretty high.

Level 1
Have you ever (in a single, or in a few rapid orders) ordered 100+ units to move to a single location? I've had this problem at least a dozen times, and its quite annoying. Even player commands cause this problem when the number of units is pretty high.

There is a system that someone made that had a similar problem

I'll look for it really quick

Ok I looked into it..apparently the system is made for mass moving units through triggers (like knockbacks) not orders

But if it helps anyways MaD Object System

Level 19
So is there anything you can suggest to fix this. My map is a zombie survival map and the computer was supposed to have lots of units. Currently I have 10 players, one police and one zombie computer. Do I need another computer to control the zombies to get more units? Do you have any idea at what point the units stop following orders. Like after 500 units or?

Level 1
So is there anything you can suggest to fix this. My map is a zombie survival map and the computer was supposed to have lots of units. Currently I have 10 players, one police and one zombie computer. Do I need another computer to control the zombies to get more units? Do you have any idea at what point the units stop following orders. Like after 500 units or?

Ok try this...when the unit is created add it to a group called ZombieUnits or something

Then order the whole group to attack move (or w/e command you are using) to attack a random location.

You might need to use a loop if you want every unit to attack a different location instead of a couple following some others.

When a zombie dies check if it is in the unit group and if it is remove it.

When or If you try this method please post what happens..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The movement sysstem of WC3 can reliably move about 50 units for each player, past that much delays occure more heavily (ever increasing with the more units there are) untill they appear to have stopped. The more move orders issued, the slower they will move as it then resets their current position in the movement system.

However, if a lot of units start engauging a lot of units, it will lag insanly, especially if they are ranged. This is because the auto target aqusition system is very processor intensive if there are a lot of units in the attack range.

Leaks do not slow unit movement, but they might lower framerate.

Level 19
Currently I have one Undead player. I have 30 unit groups and I made it so that each unit group will hold 25 units. Then I order the unit group to attack a certain location and this has worked the most best so far.

Level 8
My own personal experience - not based on a poll or knowing Blizzards higher standards - is that around 50 to 60 units the AI or the computer starts having issues and units start standing around or being ignored by commands, missed by "picked unit" etc.

Around 45-50 things start to slow up on a "regular" computer. Aka "lag" even in "leak fixed" maps. The processing of that much information is going to lead to "issues".

There is probably a good reason why food limits are set at 100. Considering that peon types have one food, Footmen use 2, Knights use 4 - and heroes can use 5 we can quickly surmise that there is no way that blizzard was using 100 units for say the melee AI.

Try an experiment - run one of the melee maps by blizzard with all 12 teams, push the food limits up to 150 or more and you can pretty much "feel" the pressure as more units are in play on your machine.

If you look at the campaign maps of Blizzard you find that they tended to keep the number of active ordered units low. The heroes went up against small groups - its not until you get to the melee type maps that a higher number of units are on the map.

There are "arounds" for this sort of thing.

1. Make units with a higher acquisition ranges to where they can "see" and target enemy units further. Not too high, say around about 1200 to 1500 (around about 3 large grids)

2. you can give units the wander ability to where they wander aimlessly about.

These two will present you with more units to attack and show up here and there (I assume zombification means that these undead wander about already).

Basically have two forms of enemy unit - ones that wander and attack at random, then a small core of units which are part of your unit groups that you send with orders that are "intelligent" and are being used effectively with triggers.

It would be easiest to just add wander ability to your extra units via object editor and not trying to pick all of them and add the ability as they are created or as they are located on the map, making customized units for that, then keep your default units for being ordered about the map.

Since you are using 10 players that only leaves you with 2 computer controlled teams. I would divide up the "work" of the creeps between those two teams, and use Neutral Hostile and Neutral Extra for the randomly wandering undead spreading out the load as much as possible.

Of course you are making a game for use by people who may not have 1GB to play with, or with the latest software and hardware - if at all possible I would strongly urge you to test the game on a machine with less power and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.