• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How many unit can warcraft handle before crashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
i think your fps will go under 1fps before the game crashes^^
so it really depends on your hardware

Level 19
-I'd never go over 300 due to lag but it depends on the units model

-a very simple model like a peon will be easier to handle than a hero model

-moving units by trigger works to 500 without unplayable lag at mine (SetUnitX/Y only...the GUI function is crap)

-it also depends on how many units you see
-there might be 10k units all around the map but if they are all hidden within fog of war it might be fine (didn't test it with 10k but 2k are fine)

-probably lag will increase online since the data volume to be moved threw the networks increases a lot too

usually there are other ways to deal with mass units e.g. make less but more powerful units

note: these data were tested at my pc (with human worker/footy) and will be different from the results you will get but whatever you are doing you should scale everything down a little since there are people with even worse pcs then we have ;)

Level 19
300-600 not more.
You can make 1000 but you probably won't see it cuz the game will freeze and then just crush.

Also its not only depending on the count, also the periodic events in the game.

If you have played Castle Fight, when the game is 3-vs-3, more than 100 creeps ONTO the map will cause huge lag...

Level 12
But I think Caslte Fight also has a very complex unit handling system, since mellee maps get the same lag during a big 2v2 fight.

It's probably impossible to get an exact amount, since the lag will slow down the messages telling you how many units are on the map, even if you use an integer to count it

Level 4
I'd like to find some ways of reducing that command lag....civil war maps just ain't the same without the big scale.

Even if my computer is handling it fine those damned units pick their nose for 10 seconds before moving in big battles.

well ive had 2k units on screen with only moderate lag, that was without colision, shadows, occlusion, lowest quality settings (footmen), and just sitting there. with a pretty fast computer though, and it didnt have any other running apps, except those required to run windows. Colision system makes quite a bit of lag for the game, ive noticed. Just so you know colision is what keeps the units from walking right over eachother, walls, buildings, ect, so an artificial system would have to be administered to replace it (i use unit enters rect, and then lace every wall with it. for units i use a buff

and by moderate lag i mean, it was playable, and i got about 20 fps

Level 4
So by emulating colission using the "unit enters rect" and individual colission buffs the "command" lag is reduced?

If so I would thank you profusely for providing a solution for that issue!

I wonder if reducing unit scale also helps with command lag...

I don't think you can really do anything about it,cause that's WC3,even melee maps lag when there are too many units.

Aye and I don't really understand it other than it exists to reduce GPU lag (FPS drops) on crappy computers. I know in Starcraft you'd never have command lag even with insane amounts of units on my civil war maps.

I wonder if there is a way to override it...

Level 6
my comp crashed b4... wanna know how? i made 2 triggers like transporters and i had 2 regions, Exit and Enter. once a unit entered Enter i moved it to Exit and via versa. once i tested the map, i realised the unit will just keep going back and forth and back and forth and back... so i changed to automaic doors :D

Status
Not open for further replies.