• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How does Turn Rate work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi!
My question might seem a bit stupid, cause Turn Rate seems so simple and obvius. But I wonder what the values actually means. Is it how many seconds it takes for the unit to turn around?

The highest value is 3.00 and the lowest is 0.10.
If two units have the value 3 and 1.5, they seem to turn around equal fast.
What value is the best value to give to a unit that shall be swift and fast?
What value is best to give to a unit that shall be slow and clumsy?

Level 9
turn rate doesn`t seem to represent the time it takes for the unit to turn around, because i wanted to make a unit that cannot rotate by setting this value to 0 for that unit and it still turned around.

Level 28
I've tested it and it does make a difference, when you try to face them to the left (both at the same height) and make them run to a point on the right, the one with the highest turn rate will be the first one to arrive.

The most agile herounit shoukd get a 3, since it is only a slight change between 1 and 3, but the clumsy unitqs should get about 0.4 or something.

I don't know how it works exactly, maybe that it's the amounts of degrees it turns or something, although a unit with Turn Rate = 0.4 would take a very long time to get to 180° then. (It could also be put in radiants / gradients)
Though the value 0 does not work (neither do negative values), it just turns at a slow rate then.

Level 4
As Xecutor_ShamanX pointed out, you will only notice this difference when you are interested in "drastic" reductions in spin speed, with levels of 0.1 or even 0.01 (yes, using Shift, you can have rotates even lower than 0.1). But otherwise, if you put values above 3, you won't notice such a noticeable difference in the increase in speed, the unit won't spin as absurdly faster as you might want.
As well as using collision reduction and unit speed as alternative techniques to circumvent pathing issues in handling many units moving simultaneously, I also find it interesting to use the Turn rate to smaller values especially on units that are very fast, helping to slightly break the effects of many collisions between them.

Last edited:
Level 4
As Xecutor_ShamanX pointed out, you will only notice this difference when you are interested in "drastic" reductions in spin speed, with levels of 0.1 or even 0.01 (yes, using Shift, you can have rotates even lower than 0.1). But otherwise, if you put values above 3, you won't notice such a noticeable difference in the increase in speed, the unit won't spin as absurdly faster as you might want.
As well as using collision reduction and unit speed as alternative techniques to circumvent pathing issues in handling many units moving simultaneously, I also find it interesting to use the Turn rate to smaller values especially on units that are very fast, helping to slightly break the effects of many collisions between them.
Yes, and if you set the Art - Propulsion Window to 180 or something around that number, you can have this gliding circular movement when changing directions. Looks better when applied to flying units using models with wide wings like planes or birds like Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.