• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[WE] How big ( in range) is one tile in the world editor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

How big is one tile/ grid in the world editor ?

This raster you can turn off, show only big and show small ones. How big is one small tile in unit range ?
It looks like around 200x200 or 250x250 range, but are there exact values ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The distance between terrain mesh nodes (which makes up what one thinks of as a "tile") is 128 exactly. The distance between the bigger grid nodes in WE are 512. The distance between sub-grid nodes is 32. The bigger grid nodes are probably terrain mesh units which are used to provide clipping by the game engine. The smaller grid nodes I believe are "cells" of the terrain used by regions (not rects) and also by pathfinding (rounded up to 2*2 units).

I haven't actually seen if it is exactly 256, but since computers work in binary, and you mentioned 250, I assume 256 is the correct dimension.
In SC2 they are 1. That makes more sense from a binary point of view. WC3 unit system is a mess.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

The distance between terrain mesh nodes (which makes up what one thinks of as a "tile") is 128 exactly
So this would be one tile when placing a terrain type, kay. This is all I needed to know, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.