• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you rate skins?

When rating on skins i evaluate...

• ...look of the blp and the screenshot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...effort made on the skin.

• ...all of the above.

• ...whether it is recolour, cut and paste or freehand

• ...none/multiple of the criteria (please include a comment)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Well, having an in-game screenshot is essential, becuase that's the ending outcome of every skin- being used in-game. If it looks great unwrapped but looks horrible on the actual unit, then that effects rating (well, at least mine) because it defeats the purpose of the skin.

Granted, recolor and CnP is quick, effortless work, but some people have done it right and actually produced some impressive looking stuff.

A good freehand will likely get a good vote from me, regardless of in-game wrap, becuase it shows effort, which I believe is the most important thing.

Well, that's my ranting. Hope this helps.
-VGsatomi

Level 9
*rolls up sleeves*

- Ingame/viewer -

This is 70% of my weight on ratings. Everyone can make a skin, but not everyone can make it fit/change a models appearance. The essential point of a skin is to look good where its supposed to be used. Please mark that not all skins are made for ingame uses. I have myself made many showcase skins (like the Warlock and ghoul).

- look of the blp and screenshot -

As pointed out just before, people are not going to see the .blp, neither would it make any difference of how the skin looks on the model.
Screenshots are not necessarily a good choice of evaluation, as they can potentially be VERY crappy.

- effort made on the skin -

This has about 10% of my weight when rating. Effort is hard to define, and cannot be seen like the screenshot and blp can. Also, effort does not necessarily make a skin good. Quick note: When CnP looks good, its no longer effortless in my book.

- Whether its a recolour, CnP or freehand -

This has the last 20% of my ratings. Recolours are booooooooorring imo. Because they don't change the shading originally made, so theres nothing original about recolours. CnP can be good, but ive seen very few people (like Hueter) who can make it look good too. Freehand is of course the thing i support 100%, but there are many freehand skins that look like crap (like Sopho's silver dragon thing). So freehand is not necessarily a shortcut to good skins.

- Excuses that should be ignored -

- the wrapping screws up the skin.

Its not the model that must fit the skin, its the skin that must fit the model. So essentially its the skin that screws up the looks of the model.

- but it looks good on the .blp

yes. but will people see the .blp ?

Plz note that this is just my thoughts, im not saying its like this.

Level 7
before i download a skin, i look at the .blp. if i like it, i take a looka at it ingame and then i rate

Level 3
please vote in the poll besides posting to the thread, as i'd like to have.. well... a poll :wink:

i for myself try to rate on effort made, blp and ingame look only, but a high percentage of recolour urges me to vote a bit lower.

Level 21
An important tip (what I follow all the time) is to check out the skinner's other skins and see if this one is overall better than the others, his/her experience and SCANNING what skills hes/shes used in the skin. For example, you SHOULDN'T just rate mindless 1 once you see the skin and who made it and then proceed to the next skin. You must try and be friendly to say the positives and negatives the skin has. True it may seem like it deserves 1 of rating for the skin but you must try honestly to rate it in your lower " strickcity "

Level 13
i dont remember rating a screen, i have 0 votes so far. i don't really like rating on 0 to 5, beceause everything i saw here is 2, and that kdewolf's undead blood mage would be a 3,4/5. as i know, everyone will get pissed if i permanantly give 1's.

however i base my comments on how much different it looks like. if you give me a blademaster with 3-4 additionnal tatoo i will scream " what thys crap !? ". a skin that have barely been edited makes my eye red and saliva pour down like a fountain down from my mountain in huge gusts.

Amount edited of the skin is the main factor for me, customization is essential, pump it up! Then the quality of the skin, if the whole skin is poorly made in MSPaint but shows a certain effort to do it right awesome, but it doesnt look good.

Beauty includes color scheme ( if a unit is covered in red i puke , and if a unit have 2 colors ( green and white i also puke. if one have a white face, i puke, he needs a tan face. ) basicly i can't translate my strong judgement into simple broken down words.

Status
Not open for further replies.