• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you make Units/Buildings Look Like Doodads? OR How to make doodads buildable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Mostly I'm wondering about it for buildings.
See I want to take if possible some Ice Rock Gates and use both diagonals for a sort of wall that you can build in a tag map.
so I already did some invulnerables, of course, that was easy, something that is placed on the terrain.

But now I want to make it so a runner can build some vulnerable versions.
So, since I can't seem to make it so I can build the gates, I have to resort to turning a building into one. Now when I try to do the 270 degree turn thing I get stuck. I can't figure out how to do that. You see diagonal 1 and diagonal 2 Ice Rock Gates are the same model, but with the doodad placement they are 180 and 270 degrees. of course, it probably makes almost no difference or no difference between 0 and 180...so 270 and 90 are mostly the same also...so default is 0 for a building...i think...right? well so anyway both buildings are facing the same direction and i want a diagonal going the other way. How can I do this?

i'm guessing that it might be possible with a trigger. then again using a trigger might be a bad idea... well, the best solution i can think of but isn't exactly what i want but is better than nothing is to simply give the building a movement type of foot(not sure if that's necessary or not) and then give it a movement base speed of 1.

Last edited:
Level 5
if you want to build a doodad, that's impossible. but you can mimic it anyway, make a building with the model of a doodad you want, and give it locust. it will act pretty much exactly the same as a doodad, but it can attack and have abilities =D

Level 13
well, i'll try the locust thing...err...did i mention it needs to be a destructible? like something that gets in your way like a building?

anyway i tried the movement 1 speed thing but unfortunately i noticed that the path of the building doesn't change even if you rotate it that way.

yeah making it have locust just makes it decorative. which is cool, but wasn't really what i was looking for. but that is pretty awesome you can build stuff that is just decoration by doing that. you could make some kind of art contest map that way haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.