• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do new model heroes retain their name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm making a game where you begin as a dragon whelp, and with each sheep you eat you get more experience. When you get to level 5, you upgrade into a drake, and at level 10 you become a dragon. The problem is, is there a way to retain my hero's proper name when I replace it with a drake/dragon? I don't want it to change randomly throughout the game.

Level 12
Well, I guess I could just make one name. I have 9 proper names as possibilities, each a name of a dragon from various sources (Trogdor, Smaug, Sapphira, etc.), and I thought that would give it variety when you played it. But is there no way (even by scripting) to keep the name if the unit is changed?

Level 10
You could make the transformation using a morphing ability, such as crow form. Set normal form unit to drake, and morphed unit to whelp, and add and remove the ability with triggers. That way you will have to replace abilities too with triggers though.

Level 12
You could make the transformation using a morphing ability, such as crow form. Set normal form unit to drake, and morphed unit to whelp, and add and remove the ability with triggers. That way you will have to replace abilities too with triggers though.

But then he couldn't evolve further into a Dragon. Sounds like a lot of work over a name. Maybe I'll just give it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.