• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How do I use downloaded models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello.

I'm a young world editor, which would really like to make a map with werewolfs. I just happen to have found a beautiful pack, with all kind of werewolfs (balverine pack) and I am eager to apply them to my map. By the title, you should know my problem, but to seam pro, I'm gonna go in detail with it:

I have downloaded the pack, and I have a bunch of .BLP and .mdx files. Now, I am fairly new to this whole modding thing, though I do have a pretty firm grip at how to make cool maps with the world editor. I simply just want my maps to have something the standards don't, which involves custom models. I just don't know how to actually use these beautiful loads of data. If someone with a warm heart, a bright mind and some sparetime would like to help out this fellow modder, I would be something-better-than-just-happy. (If you would really like to warm my heart, make a nice, detailed tutorial on how to use custom models/icons/potraits/textures. Since I have no clue, I am so lost when it comes to model editting.)

(this is by no means a disclaimer for taking the easy path) And yes, I have looked around for an already posted thread, and yes... I do realize that there is one out there, but after half an hour of searching with different keywords, nothing popped up. And please only post possible solutions, I don't want to hear about how you found a thread in a matter of seconds, that does not help me out unless you gimme a link to the thread you've found.

Thanks a lot for reading my thoughts, and (in case you help me out) taking time to get to help a poor, early modder. I love you.

I dunno why I make this, it's just an awesome smiley :infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
I'm sorry, we don't help artificial intelligence.

and we facepalm at laughing owls.

srs bsns in front, every model in the database has a little tutorial made automatically on how to import and use models. I believe it is a link called "not sure how to import this model" or so.

i suggest you in clicking any model, finding that link and then following the steps in that mini-tutorial.

and good luck.

Level 2
I'm sorry, we don't help artificial intelligence.

you do realize that an editor is just something or someone which edits right? that means, that if I am a world editor, I am editting the world. Ergo, I hope your bad joke was simply a comment you wrote with a smile on your face, and not a "lol-you-is-not-english-good-speaking-roflmao" comment.

Level 7
If you want a simple straight answer without reading pages worth of tutorials, there's really only two things you have to do.

1: Open your 'Import Manager' module of the World Editor with your map currently open (if you want to feel more pro, press F12). From there, click the 'Import File' button and select those .mdx and .blp files you were talking about and import them (they should show up in the import manager after doing so).

2: Editing the 'Full Path' field for each item you import may or may not be necessary. To change this field, if you need to, just double click the item of concern and check the 'Use custom path' box. This is most commonly required for .blp files (textures) as they are often applied to the UI or mapped to a model. I find most .mdx files can be imported and left with the default 'war3mapImported\file_name.mdx', and most .blp files you just have to remove the war3mapImported section to have just 'file_name.blp', unless you are importing icons (ask for more help if you're trying to do that). Whatever pack you got should have instructions as to what to set the Full Path to in order to make sure that your model appears right in game.

Once you've done those things SAVE YOUR GAME before trying to use the models. Once you've saved, try applying the models in the object editor to some units using the 'Import' drop down menu when adding/selecting a model to use. Should look as expected in the preview in the world editor.

Level 3
you do realize that an editor is just something or someone which edits right? that means, that if I am a world editor, I am editting the world. Ergo, I hope your bad joke was simply a comment you wrote with a smile on your face

You do realize that when you are reffering to a world editor in this forum you're probably talking about the tool in warcraft 3. That's where the joke is. Sorry if was bad or if it offended you. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.