• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I create custom doodads with variations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello!
I try to create a custom doodad that has got 3 different variations, i e 3 different selectable models (you know, for example, when you place trees in the editor there is like 9 variations to choose from). However, I haven't been able to discover anyway to make a custom doodad with variations. I have only been able to choose one model (i e one variation) for my custom doodads.

How do I make custom doodads with variations?

Level 5
I remember doing this myself actually..

As far as I know, the variations are IN the model, you'll need a model WITH variations before you do it.

Then I think to switch between them there's a trigger function for it, but I'm not sure.. not at home ATM so can't check,

A temporary solution would obviously be to make 3 different doodads with different variations, and place them, or switch between them on the map, but I guess it depends what you're doing.
I'm sure you'll get better answers than this though ;)

Goodluck,
~Gloom

Level 13
Looking quickly at both Magos' and Object Editor I've seen this:

You have to create a different model for each variation, called "yourmodelX.mdx", where X is the number of the variation starting from zero, so if you do a model with two variations you'll have:

"yourmodel0.mdx"
"yourmodel1.mdx"

Then in the Object Editor, in the doodads window to be more precise, you set the path to your model this way: "yourpath\yourmodel" without the numbers, then you set the number of variations in the variations field and you're set.
(works this way also in the destructibles window)

Just hope that I didn't miss something important :xxd:

(Of course an alternative way would be modeling the variations inside the main model and showing them using animation names instead, but that'd be a bit tricky if you have a complex model. Also, probably it'd use more space than the normal solution)

Last edited:
Level 9
You need a model with diferent variations.
After you make the doodad, there should be a "Variations" field. Change the number to the number of variations the model has.
Now when you place it in the map, that doodad will have variations. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.