• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] How do I create a projectile effect with a trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I have an AOE ability, and I can get the point effect to work fine. How do I make a projectile from the caster to the target point, though? Totally lost

Level 12
There are no AoE abilities in the game that have a projectile, AFAIK. If you don't want to mess with missile systems than use the Blood Mage's Sphere ability and adjust values until it's mostly lined up properly. You'll need a dummy ability that the caster actually casts. Then when that's cast, add the Sphere ability to the caster and the real ability and order them to cast the real ability then remove both.

Note that there is a thing or two that can cause the Sphere Ability to crash the game, but I doubt you'll come across them. They're pretty obscure.

Level 17
There are no AoE abilities in the game that have a projectile, AFAIK. If you don't want to mess with missile systems than use the Blood Mage's Sphere ability and adjust values until it's mostly lined up properly. You'll need a dummy ability that the caster actually casts. Then when that's cast, add the Sphere ability to the caster and the real ability and order them to cast the real ability then remove both.

Note that there is a thing or two that can cause the Sphere Ability to crash the game, but I doubt you'll come across them. They're pretty obscure.

I'd rather just use a missle system. Many missle systems are out there. You can pick one. It's much, much easier than what aple says.

Level 24
@GIMLI_2 & aple
I dont think that he wants an aoe spell as object editor ability.

To actually answer the question.
1, You have to read this entire to-do list.
2, You have to make a dummy unit.
3, You have to move the dummy unit every 0.03-0.05 seconds in the direction it should be moving to.
4, You have to calculate when it should end travelling.
5, You have to make the dummy unit visually noticeable by adding an attachment to it for example.
6, You have to index the missiles and store the casters, targets, speeds, directions, models, collisions, etc.
7, You have to have an event that fires when you want to apply the effect of your spell (damage, heal, crowd control, whatever)
8, You have to realize that you have to do a lot more than this.
9, You have to go to this website and search for a system that does all the above (except 1) for you without you having to care about any of them. These are called missile systems.
10, You have to thank the one who made that system for having made such a nice resource that does exactly what you want it to do.
11, You give him +rep.

Level 12
I'd rather just use a missle system. Many missle systems are out there. You can pick one. It's much, much easier than what aple says.

What I said is literally like 7 or 8 GUI lines, and 4 of them are add/remove spells. I just don't think a missile system is necessary for something like this unless you want it to control every missile and have special mechanics attributed to missiles (Like being able to be blocked, which missile systems can do, or destroyable/attackable, or controllable by the player, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.